Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Ballmer: Red Alert! Reality Distortion Field to Maximum!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...5014239,00.html

"When asked how he viewed Google as a competitor in the mobile market, Mr Ballmer - the chief executive officer of the world's biggest software company – initially responded with a conciliatory tone. 'This is their first phone, they're not easy,' he said. 'Let's see how they do.' But the niceties, which he had earlier shown for other competitors including Apple, were shortly dropped as Mr Ballmer expressed disbelief at Google's business practices. 'They (Google) can hire smart guys, hire smart people, blah-de-blah-de-blah,' Mr Ballmer said. 'I don't really understand their strategy, maybe somebody else does.' 'Turning up to an investor meeting saying, 'we've just launched a mobile operating system with no revenue model, yay!' – I wouldn't do that,' he said.'I don't get the business model.'"

Steve Ballmer is a hoot! Who goes on the record and says "blah-de-blah-de-blah" in regards to a competitor? I really hope Steve is just trying to downplay Google Android's significant in the mobile playing field because I feel it is plain to see what Google is trying to accomplish. You give the operating system away for free, it will eventually end up in the hands of millions of users... all of them forced to use your services to use the device. When people use Google's services, Google in turn makes a ton of money off of advertising deals they have in place. That sounds like a very solid revenue model to me. Once again I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that the forehead-smacking-comments that come out of Microsoft's Powers That Be mouths as of late are nothing more than schoolyard trash talking in an attempt to throw their competitors off guard.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
badersk
Pupil

I truely hope that with the advent of the iphone and now android, that MS steps up its game with windows mobile. While I like WM very much, it is getting old and tired. The phone manufacturers are actually working harder to keep it interesting than I believe MS is, (it's my opinion as a user) with new touch interfaces and such.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 PM
ScottC
Ponderer

Ballmer better be scared of Android, because it is miles ahead of WinMo at the moment. Even the developer scene is doing quite nicely, with at least 10 new apps a day appearing. I have a G1, and a Touch Pro, but I'm using Android 100% of the time now. The era of WinMo is going to come to an end if Microsoft does not get their act together very soon.

If his reaction to Android is nothing more than blah de blah, then I'm guessing he hasn't actually SEEN Android, or used one of his own phones recently.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Even the developer scene is doing quite nicely, with at least 10 new apps a day appearing.
Windows Mobile has bucket-fulls of of applications released for it on a daily basis. The only difference is Microsoft hasn't released their application market so there is not an easy to use central repository for users to find these applications easily. To my knowledge though, this is something that should be fixed soonish.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
adamz
Thinker

Quote:
Ballmer better be scared of Android, because it is miles ahead of WinMo at the moment. Even the developer scene is doing quite nicely, with at least 10 new apps a day appearing. I have a G1, and a Touch Pro, but I'm using Android 100% of the time now. The era of WinMo is going to come to an end if Microsoft does not get their act together very soon.

If his reaction to Android is nothing more than blah de blah, then I'm guessing he hasn't actually SEEN Android, or used one of his own phones recently.
Actually, I have a G1 too, and "blah" is a pretty good description of it. It's about 5 years behind what Windows Mobile can do. There are plenty of limitations, and I'm finding more to add to that list every day.

Most of those new Android apps are tip calculators and weather programs. I'm seeing plenty of application crashes, data disconnects, and slow downs too.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

Hey! Where is the flag waving smile?

Doesn't this sound eerily similar to PALM back in the very early 2000's?

"Oh, MS doesn't know how to do phones, plus our OS is proven, millions of people love us, thousands of free and very modestly priced 3rd party apps - yada yada - look at me, big 800 pound gorilla sitting on the hill..."

I seem to recall posting something very similar years ago to Palm at that time - Where has the competitive edge gone? Who is leading with bringing out new iniatives?

It sure ain't you MS...

UGH!

So anyone want to guess how long it will be before HTC puts out an HTC Touch Diamond & Diamons Pro on the Android OS? 2 years?

Seems to me that would be a very logical business move for HTC; they already had a great deal invested in to "fixing" the User Experience on WinMo so why not take that experience, port it over to a FREE OS and build in a little bit of a killer set of applications to really knock MS off the block: Sync to Outlook, Lotus, MS Office readers and BOOM... Why stay with MS again?

Steve ought to be VERY afraid... or maybe MS just doesn't care to loose the mobile space...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

One thing I've learned is that you can nevere rest an your laurels too long. Like Balmer had said, there's a lot of smart people at Google, so I wouldn't assume that they're being stupid about their entry into the mobile space.

If I couldn't understand how their business model worked, I'd be working very hard to figure out how they think their model does work, and then come up with plans to compete against it.

The mobile space is increasingly becoming more important, and as phones get more powerful, there's a chance that it'll become the dominant market over computers, like the shift from desktops to laptops. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time, a phone (with a docking station for keyboard/mouse/monitor) sold more than the other computer segments. With most consumers only needing basic functionality, such as web surfing, office applications, communication, why spend $500 on a computer when your phone will eventually be able to accomplish all the same thing?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Ballmer on Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
Steve Ballmer is a hoot! Who goes on the record and says "<em>blah-de-blah-de-blah</em>" in regards to a competitor?
The same guy who jumped around like a crack monkey yelling, "Developers! Deveopers! Developers!" and somebody trying to diminish that competitor.

Quote:
I really hope Steve is just trying to downplay Google Android's significant in the mobile playing field because I feel it is plain to see what Google is trying to accomplish. You give the operating system away for free, it will eventually end up in the hands of millions of users... all of them forced to use your services to use the device. When people use Google's services, Google in turn makes a ton of money off of advertising deals they have in place.
Only if people actually see those ads. You aren't forced to use Google services on the G1, right? I could access a Yahoo or Hotmail account and use other services, I assume.

Also, I know that I very rarely click on ads. Maybe once in a while as I'm browsing, but if I were using Google docs or something, I'd probably be trying to accomplish a task and not be distracted by an ad.

If they get paid per impression, it won't matter, but if they get paid per click, it most certainly will.

Quote:
That sounds like a very solid revenue model to me. Once again I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that the forehead-smacking-comments that come out of Microsoft's Powers That Be mouths as of late are nothing more than schoolyard trash talking in an attempt to throw their competitors off guard.
It's called FUD.

Steve

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Android vs. Windows Mobile

Quote:
Ballmer better be scared of Android, because it is miles ahead of WinMo at the moment.
Really? I was going to ask how the PIM applicatons were, how good syncing to Exchange or your desktop was, etc., but it appears that Adam linked to a good list of deficits.

People say Android and the iPhone will catch up to those misisng features, and I'm sure they will on many, but look at the iPhone 2 software as an example. As far as I know, it still doesn't have Bluetooth A2DP, video recording or cut/copy/paste. Those are pretty fundamental, especially for a media-centric device like the iPhone.

Steve

Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Software Repository

Quote:
Windows Mobile has bucket-fulls of of applications released for it on a daily basis. The only difference is Microsoft hasn't released their application market so there is not an easy to use central repository for users to find these applications easily.
Yes there is.

It may not have every application, but I doubt Microsoft's SkyMarket will, either.

Steve