Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Say Hello to Apple Thoughts, the Newest Member of the Thoughts Media Network

I'm thrilled to announce the launch of the fifth Thoughts Media site: Apple Thoughts. It's been almost two years since we launched our last site (Zune Thoughts), and I'm really excited to be expanding our network with another great site. Why an Apple site? For the past three years or so, I've been watching the "Apple tide" rising. By that, I mean the overall impact that Apple has in the market - and I mean real impact, not the mainstream media fawning and hype that accompanies every new product Apple releases. The number of people I know that have switched to Macs is staggering - the painful launch of Vista certainly didn't help things, but Apple is making tremendous gains in the market. Earlier this year, 40% of all notebooks sold at retail over $1000 USD were Macbooks, and who can forget this picture? The iPhone? Game-changing. Not the right phone everyone, and definitely over-hyped, but it changed the whole landscape of smartphones and what people expect from them. The Apple tide is rising, and as someone who makes a living online, it would be a poor decision for me to ignore that fact.

Now I know what some of you may be thinking: an Apple enthusiast site? From the guy who really doesn't seem to like Apple very much, and has been known to be quite critical of Apple, iPods, and Steve Jobs in particular? Well, here's the second announcement: Apple Thoughts is the first Thoughts Media franchise site. By that I mean that I will not be in charge of running it: Thoughts Media Inc. provides the server, back-end infrastructure, and monetization support, while the franchisee provides 100% of the editorial content and community management. I've tapped a very talented, opinionated, passionate, Apple-lovin' guy to be the Executive Editor of Apple Thoughts. His name some of you will doubtless recognize: Vincent Ferrari. Vincent has been a member of the Thoughts Media community for a number of years, and was on the Digital Home Thoughts review team for a time. He's got the right kind of personality to be a fantastic Executive Editor, and if I ever need an AOL account cancelled, I know exactly who to call.

Here's a special request to everyone reading this: if you use a Mac, an iPhone, or any product made by Apple, please make a commitment to this new community. Starting a community is tough work - it's a classic chicken-and-egg scenario where, when someone comes to a Web site with sparse comments and empty forums, they think "Oh, I won't make this community my home, there's no one here". So I'm asking all of you Mac-usin', iPhone-totin' types to read, comment, contribute, share, help, and above all grow the Apple Thoughts community. My hope is that by this time next year, Apple Thoughts will have a vibrant, passionate, helpful community of Apple fans. We need you.

Please join me in welcoming Apple Thoughts!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

...and for anyone who's curious, no, I still don't own a Mac, nor do I have any plans to buy one. I really am hands-off on this new site.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

*cough* Yet *cough*

Old 11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
*cough* Yet *cough*
I can't say that I've never been tempted to buy a Mac, but thus far I've resisted the clarion call of the reality distortion field. My kung fu is strong!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Snowmation
Pupil

Just made for first post over at Apple Thoughts.....just to say I'm hyped to see how things go. Keep up the good work.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmation View Post
Just made for first post over at Apple Thoughts.....just to say I'm hyped to see how things go. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Snowmation! Every post helps!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

This is great, now I won't have to feel guilty toting my iPod with my PocketPC

Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Good move and I'll be sure to add the new site to my feed reader. I started out following Pocket PC Thoughts and then branched out into Digital Home Thoughts and also following Zune Thoughts sporadically, although lately my enthusiasm for Pocket PC has waned a bit and last year I went reluctantly over to the dark side. Good luck and I look forward to some good discussions over on the new forum boards!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
ignar
Thinker

Wow, didn't see this coming. Congrats and good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Congrats!

I'm not an apple fan but as Jason said, you can't ignore the impact they have made or the fact that the iPhone is a great device. Right now, the iPhone can't replace my Windows Mobile Phone and I still prefer XP to OS X (though I do think the unixish core is better on OS X). Anyway, I think you made a great move! I've already pointed my Apple-loving cube buddy to your new site.

Best wishes!!!