Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default MoDaCo Reviews The Xperia X1

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocke...sson-xperia-x1/

"Sony Ericsson releasing a Windows Mobile device. Who'd have thought it? That said, Palm releasing a Windows Mobile device, who'd have thought it? Nokia rele - oh, wait, we haven't had that one yet have we... All joking aside, the mobile world positively rocked in February 2008 when Sony Ericsson announced the Xperia X1 at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona... it's clear that the X1 is an important release for the company."

I had the opportunity to hold a prerelease X1 a few months back, and I have to say, I was extremely impressed by the form factor and the "solid" feel of the device.  The "tall and narrow" design makes it very nice to hold as a phone.  My biggest concern was the keyboard, which was supposed to be tweaked for final release, and it seems that Paul is happy with the latest iteration.  Hit the link above for the rest of his thoughts.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Chafic
Pupil

this may be trivial to some, but the recessed screen is a deal breaker for me. more so than not having an orientation sensor. not that I am able to afford anything at this time anyway

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Constant Caffeine
Intellectual

Sony is too proprietary for my taste. I hold them in the same regard as I do Apple.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

So what is so proprietary of the X1? This has a 3.5mm headphone socket, microSD slot and miniUSB sync port. More proprietary than say a HTC Diamond, Samsung Omnia and Apple Iphone?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
HandyMedAdmin
Neophyte

#1 -- Great looking device and review.
#2 -- No clue why people don't like recessed screens; I've been using them for 10+ years without a complaint. Not trying to be inflammatory, but I don't know what it matters to so many people.
#3 -- Why is it I don't think I've seen a picture of this thing actually being used as a phone?! That is, I want to see the screen for dialing, but I don't recall ever seeing that screenshot. Yes, I may have missed it on in an obvious place, but it's not a common picture. So, if someone knows of a picture, I'd love to see it and would appreciate the assistance.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Arg, does it really have a recessed screen? That's FAR from a deal breaker to me but I can tell you why I don't like them. They're just impossible to clean. The advantage is that in the holster its better for keeping accidental screen presses to a minimum.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Constant Caffeine
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanchoo View Post
So what is so proprietary of the X1? This has a 3.5mm headphone socket, microSD slot and miniUSB sync port. More proprietary than say a HTC Diamond, Samsung Omnia and Apple Iphone?
I stand, well actually sit, corrected. Instead of using one of my many extra SD or microSD cards, I had to purchase Memory Stick and Memory Stick Micro (M2) for my VAIO and Cyber-shot C702 and Hi8 camcorder.

I wrongly assumed they would stick to their previous ways when coming out with new technology.

Thanks for correcting me.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMedAdmin View Post
#1 -- Great looking device and review.
#2 -- No clue why people don't like recessed screens; I've been using them for 10+ years without a complaint. Not trying to be inflammatory, but I don't know what it matters to so many people.
#3 -- Why is it I don't think I've seen a picture of this thing actually being used as a phone?! That is, I want to see the screen for dialing, but I don't recall ever seeing that screenshot. Yes, I may have missed it on in an obvious place, but it's not a common picture. So, if someone knows of a picture, I'd love to see it and would appreciate the assistance.
The dialer is demonstrated here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyU4CAAzqvg
Go to 3:20. It looks like a very good dialer. I don't know if anything will beat the opal phone canvas that I have installed on my tilt right now. Best dialer ever. Hopefully the touch HD has a WVGA version of Opal phone canvas and someone will rip it for the X1. It is awesome.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
HandyMedAdmin
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim View Post
The dialer is demonstrated here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyU4CAAzqvg
Go to 3:20. It looks like a very good dialer. I don't know if anything will beat the opal phone canvas that I have installed on my tilt right now. Best dialer ever. Hopefully the touch HD has a WVGA version of Opal phone canvas and someone will rip it for the X1. It is awesome.
Thanks. I've not used soft-keys for a phone before and that's my only real concern about this device. The images do look nice and it doesn't take many steps to get to get to the keyboard (ie. one).

BTW, regarding keeping the recessed screen clean, I just use screen protectors and don't really care about little smudges on the screens. When people don't have recessed screens, are they still putting on screen protectors?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Chafic
Pupil

my problem with the recessed screen is that any controls along the edges become frustrating, hard to press with fingers. It becomes a 2 handed and maybe a stylus operation. i have a non recessed screen phone and I still use a screen protector. i have also had recessed screen phones for a long time, some of the controls on some major programs that i use are very hard to use on recessed phones with one hand. i find the flush screen a lot easier to work with.
Maybe a deal breaker is a bit of an exaggeration, but it definitely is a serious ding against the device particularly if i have to spend that kind of money. To each their own i guess.

Last edited by Chafic; 11-04-2008 at 04:16 PM..