Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Brighthand Reviews the Samsung Omnia i900

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14487

"Pretty much the only way to describe the Omnia is as an iPhone clone. No insult intended, that's just the way it is. It copies the same basic form-factor and some of the specs of the iPhone, albeit with obvious differences: addition of a removable battery under the backplate, more buttons, memory card slot, etcetera."

The Omnia is out and starting to be reviewed by real people. Aside from the pricetag, this Brighthand review seems to be indicating that it's author, Adama Brown, is a fan. What do you think - is the Omnia worth its near $700 price tag?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
stan
Pupil

ok...what at dumb ****er, "...iphone clone..." WTF? One is winmo and one is apple os, how is that clone? he gotta be an apple fanboy bc clearly he intends to insult.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Joko
Neophyte

No its not worth it. Not for that price tag. It looks more like a cousin than an Iphone clone I would have to say. Not too thrilled about the long screen display. UI looks kind of like apple OS. Not too innovative. I would have like to see something different with the software. I still think it is a tough competitor if people are willing to dish out the cash for something similiar (not clone) to the Iphone.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
ok...what at dumb ****er, "...iphone clone..." WTF? One is winmo and one is apple os, how is that clone? he gotta be an apple fanboy bc clearly he intends to insult.
Thanks, stan, but if you'd bothered to know anything about, well, anything you were commenting on, you'd know that I've actually never owned an Apple product in my life, and am regarded as something of an iPhone and Apple critic.

Someone would have to be blind or a fool not to recognize that the Omnia is clearly designed to mimic the look of the iPhone and its touchscreen-only approach to the user interface.

Anyway, addressing Jon's original comment, I wouldn't use the word fan. I respect the Omnia's impressive list of hardware as well as the fact that it offers some things no other smartphone is capable of, like memory expandable to 32 GB. And Samsung offers great build quality. But I'd definitely not be interested in using the Omnia as my personal device, in part because I don't think that the iPhone style "no keys" approach that the Omnia mimics makes for a good phone experience. But I also recognize that not everybody feels the way I do on that score, the same way that I love my Blackjack II to death but others can't stand a small screen.

Adama

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM
alese
Philosopher

I have one problem with Omnia - the screen resolution. Not only did they go with the nonstandard resolution, that should/could cause problems, but they also went with lo-res screen.
In the age of VGA and WVGA screens 400x240 is just too lo res, especially on relatively large screen.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default fwiw

I do think it's very iphone like. So I support the reviewer calling it a clone and don't support the guy who is acting like the reviewer is stupid.

Frankly, I support iphone clones! The iPhone has a lot of pluses to it but I like Windows Mobile applications and cut & paste! I also think LG and Samsung make some of the best non-smart phones out there and look forward to seeing more windows mobile devices from them! I'm hoping for better battery life, better call quality, better reception, and less reboots!!!

I do like the stylus though but I also like multi touch so please LG and Samsun - give me both!!!