Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default You May Lose The Ability To Sent Email Via SMTP On Windows Mobile 6.1 Device

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958639/en-us

"You have a Windows Mobile 6.1-based device that is configured to use a POP3 e-mail account or an IMAP e-mail account. On this device, you experience the following symptoms:.

• You unexpectedly lose the ability to send e-mail messages
  • E-mail messages remain in the Outbox folder after you synchronize the e-mail account.
  • You may receive the following error message when you try to send an e-mail message:
The message cannot be sent

Even though you lose the ability to send e-mail messages, you continue to receive incoming e-mail messages."

What I find interesting, and frustrating, is this is because Microsoft has given yet more control to the carrier. As you read the rest of the KB article, you get to this paragraph:

"This behavior is associated with a feature that is introduced in Windows Mobile 6.1. The feature allows for mobile operators to specify an alternate SMTP server name that is used if e-mail messages cannot be sent by using the user-specified SMTP server name. If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages."

This blows my mind in two ways. First, how many times has Microsoft given the OEM or carrier control of how something on the device should work, and then when the carrier does absolutely nothing about it, the device doesn't function properly. I can think of two instances. The IE Cache settings are set by MS at something like 40MB and there is no way for the user to edit that without hacking the registry, and even that doesn't work on some devices as the registry value is reset on restart. MS expected the OEM to set it at a more reasonable level based on the device by the carrier, yet none that I know of do, so the storage on people's devices fill up over time because of the cache, unless they remember to go manually clear it. The other example is a few versions ago, Microsoft didn't put the necessary template on the device to control how Windows Media Player buttons could be assigned - that was the carrier's responsibility. Some carriers did, but others did not, leaving the user with no reliable way to assign buttons to WMP functions during use. I am sure there are other examples.

The second way this blows my mind is, why in the world is Microsoft allowing the carrier to intercept SMTP messages and send them through its server? This may sound like a helpful feature if your SMTP server is down, but it isn't. If I wanted my email going through my carrier's SMTP server, I'd set it to do so. There appears to be no way to block this behavior, and it strikes me as a security concern and privacy issue.

While Microsoft has yet to release a fix, which should, in my opinion, to remove the feature entirely, Tracy and Matt's Blog has given some details on how to fix this using information put together by one of the industrious individuals at XDA-Developers.  Might be worth the time to copy the cab file and directions to your device so that if this happens to you when traveling, you can quickly fix it until MS releases a more permenant fix.

Last edited by Ed Hansberry; 10-24-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
tsaxton
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
why in the world is Microsoft allowing the carrier to intercept SMTP messages and send them through its server? This may sound like a helpful feature if your SMTP server is down, but it isn't. If I wanted my email going through my carrier's SMPT server, I'd set it to do so.
It sounds to me like they were trying to do a good deed for the <b>novice</b> user, by automatically redirecting SMTP traffic to the carrier's SMTP relay, whenever the user's ISP SMTP server refused to accept the job for anti-SPAM/security reasons. But they've stuffed up the implementation, and there's a bug. Oooops.

I can see what they were thinking -- I know dozens of Windows Mobile phone users who wouldn't know how to set the carrier SMTP server for themselves. Perhaps one of the carriers even put them up to it, by asking for the feature for their customers.

But I don't really like the idea of my outgoing email being sent via a server other than the one I requested. Email is typically vulnerable to interception, but still...

If they were being polite, as soon as the user-specified SMTP relay refused a job, the phone should ask something along the lines "sorry, mail.x.com refused to relay your email, would you like to use mail.yourcarrier.com instead?" with a checkbox option for "always do this". Something like that which fits on the screen, anyway!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I ran into that problem on my BlackJack II. So far, since I took it back for the Epix, I haven't had email problems other than gmail's current unreliability spats. It got very frustrating to me to be able to receive mail but I had to use gmail's web client to send.

The Tracy and Matt fix helped to a point, but did not completely fix the problem on my device.

Go figure; Microsoft fixes some of the issues from Win Mobile 5 and previous and introduces this.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
efjay
Theorist

In the months I've had my Omnia I havent come across this problem, using either my Hotmail or IMAP based email account.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

So this is something that happens -- when the carrier bothers to set it up -- transparently to the user? i.e., the user tries to send a message via their specified SMTP server, which doesn't respond for whatever reason. It then silently fails over to whatever the carrier (should have) configured? That's bad and could be a major security issue, in my opinion, as it's pretty unlikely that the carriers will configure their server to use SSL.

I sincerely hope that Palm starts a trend with their release of an unlocked phone direct from the OEM rather than from a carrier. The carriers have been given far too much control over the devices they sell, and it ends up making life difficult for users who just want things to work as they should.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

Quote:
<em>"This behavior is associated with a feature that is introduced in Windows Mobile 6.1. The feature allows for mobile operators to specify an alternate SMTP server name that is used if e-mail messages cannot be sent by using the user-specified SMTP server name. If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages."</em>.....The second way this blows my mind is, why in the world is Microsoft allowing the carrier to intercept SMTP messages and send them through its server? This may sound like a helpful feature if your SMTP server is down, but it isn't.
Well, it would add robustness to the solution of your SMTP is blocked by the carrier. What they do on a frequent basis. They really want their SMTP to be used, instead of your own.
Quote:
If I wanted my email going through my carrier's SMPT server, I'd set it to do so. There appears to be no way to block this behavior, and it strikes me as a security concern and privacy issue.
Don't forget, carriers reguraly reroute the SMTP traffic to their own servers regardless of what you have said in the settings. I discovered this when I got a reply from a technically oriented friend that included a full header, which indicated I had used the SMTP of T-Mobile instead of my own....

Yes, this is a huge privacy issue, but they did this anyway. It is in the fine print somewhere on that 200 page EULA for their network.

Jaap

Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM
murph
Ponderer

YES! Thank you...I'm not going crazy. This has happened to me twice on my upgraded BJ1.

I have Gmail setup but don't like IMAP, so I still POP the last week of emails. Like I said, this happened twice and I had to re-create the account. I was going crazy trying to figure it out the first time, at least the second time I knew to just delete and re-create the account. Good to hear there is a fix coming.

The other quirky email thing...and I know this is different because it's my Exchange account...but when I manually try to sync (or when sending email) it will ask for my password like 8/10 times. The regular background Activesync connection never does this.

Just a few of those typical WM "quirks" that you learn to live with. At least one of them is being taken care of

Old 10-25-2008, 01:48 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Question Cure or Vaccine?

Is the registry change/addition mentioned at Tracy and Matt's Blog a Cure or Vaccine? In other words, should I do this now or just make note of it for if/when it happens to me?

m.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley View Post
Is the registry change/addition mentioned at Tracy and Matt's Blog a Cure or Vaccine? In other words, should I do this now or just make note of it for if/when it happens to me?

m.
Keep the instructions for when/if it happens.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Omegajb
Pupil

I thought it was just my phone, I use an unlocked TyTNII on T-Mobile and am using a customer email domain throgh Go Daddy where they give me a SMTP server to use.
I fouind that if I save the username and password for the SMTP server it won't work, if I set it to ask for a password it works everytime.
I don't think it is a carrier issue because it works the same even with WiFi.