Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Samsung Releases the Epix

http://www.wireless.att.com/busines...gEPIX/index.jsp

"The Epix is Samsung's first AT&T Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional device featuring touch screen capability-built for enterprise and small business customers. The Epix is a powerful smartphone that offers features like a high-speed processor, large application memory capacity, and aGPS to run corporate email, location-based services, and vertical application solutions. The Epix has the manageability and security capabilities that enterprise IT managers seek, including Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager deployment-a security and manageability server that enables enterprise IT administrators to better manage mobile devices. The Epix is a world-capable, 3G smartphone featuring tri-band HSDPA (850/1900/2100) and quad-band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900). Its touchscreen, full QWERTY keyboard, dedicated function keys, and optical center navigation button with mouse pointer enable easy one-hand operation for even the most complex multitasking needs."

When I was browsing the Windows Mobile device picker I saw the Samsung Epix come up. I haven't seen any news about this posted on Samsung's Web site yet, but it's live on AT&T's site. What makes this device interesting is the form-factor. It's a Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 device, so it has a touch-screen, but it also has a front-facing QWERTY keyboard. I thought it was a Windows Mobile standard device, a la Blackjack, at first. It boasts a 624 mhz ARM920T PXA311 processor, 256 MB ROM, and 150 MB of RAM. It has a 2.4" QVGA 320 x 320 screen, GPS, and a microSD slot that supports up to 32 GB. The d-pad in the middle is actually an optical mouse pad - something I'm highly dubious about until I actually try it and see how it works. It weighs in at 4.4 ounces and is 4.56 x 2.41 x 0.51 inches in size. The battery is a respectable 1800 mAh. Samsung has historically had atrocious battery life on their Pocket PCs, but I've been quite impressed with the battery life on my Samsung Blackjack II - so here's hoping this device has solid battery life.

Want to buy one? I managed to track down the purchase page on AT&T, and it looks like full retail is $449 USD, $299 on a two-year contract, and $199 after a promotion - presumably available for the two-year contract. So what do you think - is this your next device? If not, what's it missing?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Something further reading here:

http://www.crn.com/retail/211300291

Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

I'm getting one of these for review very soon. I'm looking forward to it: despite the too-cool-for-school crowd claiming it's too thick, it's got a stellar featureset and battery capacity. Plus the fact that Samsung's had superb build quality and ergonomics for awhile now, better than HTC.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:10 AM
MongarEric
Neophyte

I can't decide if I want this or the Fuze. I know specs are different, but I'm thinking mainly about the form factor. Also, the screen on the Epix is 320x320 not QVGA.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Snowmation
Pupil

Overall I like what I see, but I can't help but feel they missed a great opportunity to have a larger screen considering how much space was left under the screen for the AT&T logo. A 320x400, 320x480 or full 480x640 2.8" screen would have been nice.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 AM
heliod
Intellectual

I can tell you that I have been using since the beginning of April the European parallel of this device, the i780, and I can define it with very few words: "the best device I have ever had".

Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Kursplat
Intellectual

The only thing it seems to be missing is a place on Verizon's lineup.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

I went out and got one yesterday. My wife and I renewed our contracts and got the BlackJack II's about 3 1/2 weeks ago. A coworker who has apparently made a second career out of returning devices to AT&T suggested I go and get this one. As cool as my BlackJack II was, it did have a few shortcomings like battery life and for whatever reason my work laptop won't sync with it. I decided to go ahead and return it for the Epix.

So far I'm completely impressed with the Epix. I'm also thrilled that all of the Windows Mobile Professional applications I've built up and gotten used to over the years work on it. I missed having a few of them on the BlackJack II, and Windows Mobile Standard did have a few shortcomings having come from several years of using touchscreens.

The optical mouse is interesting and can easily be enabled and disabled from the Today screen by holding down Function + n.

The only complaint I have so far is that the Epix has that weird tactile feedback that makes the device vibrate when you touch it with your finger or the stylus. I haven't yet found a way to turn this off.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
MAK11
Pupil

People should note that the screen is smaller and has a lower res than on the i780 sadly. 2,4 vs 2,55 /320x240 vs 320x320

Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Snowmation
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK11 View Post
People should note that the screen is smaller and has a lower res than on the i780 sadly. 2,4 vs 2,55 /320x240 vs 320x320
The screen res of the Epix is 320x320.