Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default T-Mobile Pre-Sells 1.5 Million Android Handsets!

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/...reportedly-sold

"When Google, T-Mobile, and HTC unveiled the first smartphone running Android last month, Google's many fans were excited by the idea of a mobile phone tied to the online services they enjoy. Other were less enthusiastic, pointing out that Android is an untried operating system and the T-Mobile G1 is only going to be available from a single, relatively small wireless provider in the United States. Nevertheless, there are enough optimists that 1.5 million G1's have already been pre-ordered, sight unseen. And this number would be higher, except that T-Mobile has sold all the devices it has available to ship by October 22, the launch day."

This number doesn't surprise me at all. As a T-Mobile customer, pre-ordering this handset is a pretty big deal. It is the only handset in who knows how long where you have been able to get the subsidized price while still in contract! Usually you have to wait 11 months out of a 12 month contract or 21 months out of a 24 month contract before you can get the discounted price off a device. T-Mobile has definitely did their customers a solid here, and at the same point managed to convince up to 1.5 million people to sign up for their data plan, which I'm sure they make a killing on. Heck, even I have been considering pre-ordering a T-Mobile G1 until I can scrub up close to $700 to buy a HTC Touch from Best Buy or eXpansys!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
...This number doesn't surprise me at all...
While the number may not surprise you, it's not based on any sort of factual information; and certainly not information out of T-Mobile or HTC.

The 1.5 million number is an estimate posted by someone at the Motley Fool website, and has been quoted as fact all over the net. The actual number is most likely closer between 200,000 and 300,000.

Whatever it is, we'll have a better idea when T-Mobile actually issues a press release with the info, anything else is purely speculation.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM
MAK11
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
While the number may not surprise you, it's not based on any sort of factual information; and certainly not information out of T-Mobile or HTC.

The 1.5 million number is an estimate posted by someone at the Motley Fool website, and has been quoted as fact all over the net. The actual number is most likely closer between 200,000 and 300,000.

Whatever it is, we'll have a better idea when T-Mobile actually issues a press release with the info, anything else is purely speculation.
Yup here's a link to the story :
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...uy_the_g1.html

Old 10-16-2008, 06:34 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK11 View Post
Yup... the days of fact-checking are a thing of the past...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Yup... the days of fact-checking are a thing of the past...
Well if by that you mean actually calling the T-Mobile corporate offices and speaking with one of your old co-workers that are now a part of the purchasing team over there any having them confirm the high number of pre-ordered devices... then yes. Fact checking has obviously gone out the window.

If you can't trust information from T-Mobile corporate employees, about T-Mobile, then who can you trust?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

T-Mobile has not yet issued a statement regarding sales figures of the G1; again; anything else is speculation and hearsay.

Quote:
Well if by that you mean actually calling the T-Mobile corporate offices and speaking with one of your old co-workers that are now a part of the purchasing team over there any having them confirm the high number of pre-ordered devices... then yes. Fact checking has obviously gone out the window.

If you can't trust information from T-Mobile corporate employees, about T-Mobile, then who can you trust?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
T-Mobile has not yet issued a statement regarding sales figures of the G1; again; anything else is speculation and hearsay.
I think you missed the point of that, I was the one that called someone in T-Mobile before posting this story.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

No, I got that -- just clarifying what that meant though. Pretty much the definition of hearsay
Quote:
I think you missed the point of that, I was the one that called someone in T-Mobile before posting this story.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Fact Checking

Quote:
No, I got that -- just clarifying what that meant though. Pretty much the definition of hearsay
No, Rocco got it first hand from a T-Mobile source. I think he did more fact checking than most people would have, assuming the press is usually right. I think he deserves better than the dismissive "the days of fact-checking are a thing of the past" comment.

And it's not like this site and other fan sites don't publish rumors (device rumors, WM 7 ship dates, etc.). In fact, pretty much anything you read at most fan sites (with the exception of first-hand reviews and personal experiences) is hearsay. If you don't like it, why bother visiting them?

I think the people who visit here are techie fans and enjoy rumors. Publishing only double-checked stories would make this a much more boring place. Remember, the volunteers here aren't professional journalists and shouldn't be held to that standard.

Steve

Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
No, Rocco got it first hand from a T-Mobile source.
...right, we got that -- nothing new in your statement. That's what he said, a couple times. He hasn't named his source, and the number he's quoting began in a Motley Fool article, then circulated widely on the web. His 'source' must've read the same article, as these numbers didn't come from T-Mobile. Again, the info he provided is based on hearsay, not fact -- there's really nothing to debate. Thanks for stopping by though...

But everyone is entitled to an opinion, even yours Steve, no matter how wrong