Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Showdown: Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 Earphones vs. Zune Premium Headphones

What do you get for headphones for under $65? Let's compare two options, one of them twice as expensive as the other. Is that a fair comparison? $65 is affordable for most people who purchase something capable of digital audio playback, so I think it's fair game. I was using my set of Ultimate Ears' Metro.fi 2 earphones ($62.99 from Amazon.com) this morning, and I decided to throw the Zune Premium Headphones into the mix - you know, the ones that come with the Zune 80, but not the Zune 120 - and I was quite disappointed with how poor the Zune headphones sounded. I normally wouldn't criticize free headphones that come with a player, because it's always my advice to toss them and buy a good pair of headphones, but in this case the premium headphones are a product normally sold separately for $39.99 MSRP (retailing for $30 from Amazon) so I think they're fair game for comparison - especially now that there's no modern Zune that includes them.

So how do the Metro.fi headphones compare to the Zune Premium Headphones? There's really no comparison - the Zune headphones lacked any sense of clarity when I was listening to tracks from Flyleaf, while the Metro.fi headphones handled the same songs without a problem. The Zune headphones did better with other songs, and they're certainly better than the default Zune headphones that come with the Flash-based Zunes, and now the Zune 120, but they just didn't measure up to the Metro.fi headphones. I also found that I needed to turn the volume level up on my Zune 80 to about 15 in order to "feel" the music properly from the Zune Premium headphones - the Metro.fi 2's gave me the same feeling with the volume at 12. The Zune headphones have decent bass response, but nothing fantastic - for fantastic bass, you want the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB earphones. They're pretty expensive at $155 from Amazon.com, but they deliver the best bass response I've ever heard.

An important factor with headphones is durability, and the Metro.fi headphones measure up there as well: I've been using them off and on for over a year now, and the past few months at the gym. No frayed connectors, no drop-outs, and no static. The Metro.fi headphones come with interchangable tips, providing 16 decibels worth of audio dampening, and they're carried in the included small leather pouch - a really nice touch. My biggest gripe with them? Nothing to do with sound: the cable tends to not relax very easily, so when I take them out of the storage pouch I have to fight to get them even a little bit straight. Interestingly enough, the Zune Premium Headphones have this problem nailed: they're fabric-wrapped, and tend to relax quite quickly. That frustration aside, and from a pure sonic standpoint, the Metro.fi headphones are well worth the extra $35 over the Zune Premium Headphones. I'd like to see Microsoft bump the price bracket up to $49.99 MSRP and see if they can get better sounding headphones.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default Sound Quality

The problem with all ear-plug style phones is that the sound will vary from ear to ear. There is no standard in ear canal size or shape. The different size pads help somwhat but still the problem remains. Before you shell out money on ear-plug style phones, do yourself a favor and try them before you buy them. Just because phones measure well in a lab does not mean they will do well in your ears.

Paul

Engineer/Producer

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
Before you shell out money on ear-plug style phones, do yourself a favor and try them before you buy them. Just because phones measure well in a lab does not mean they will do well in your ears.
Indeed - every set of ears are different. My wife has a really hard time finding earbuds that are small enough for her ears. But the catch is that most places won't accept the return of headphones after they've been used for sanitary reasons - at least that's how it works with iPods where I live. I haven't tried to return regular headphones...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'd like to see Microsoft bump the price bracket up to $49.99 MSRP and see if they can get better sounding headphones.
I'd be happy to sell you my Zune premium headphones for $49.99, but I don't expect they'll sound any better.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I don't find most earbuds comfortable for extended use so I like that the Zune buds are comfortable. I haven't used them in a while since they're on the bright side if I recall. I wonder what most people use. I use a pair of Sony MDR NC40 headphones. I love the noise cancellation since I listen to my music a pretty low settings compared to most people. (My Zune is set at 2 right now)

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
donc36
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I don't find most earbuds comfortable for extended use so I like that the Zune buds are comfortable. I haven't used them in a while since they're on the bright side if I recall. I wonder what most people use. I use a pair of Sony MDR NC40 headphones. I love the noise cancellation since I listen to my music a pretty low settings compared to most people. (My Zune is set at 2 right now)
In my case, it depends. I have a set of Bose earbuds that I use for "normal" use. They sound good, but don't block much ambient noise - an advantage when small cherubs are afoot (well, MOST of the time ). When in louder environments, I use Shure E3C's with the foam ear buds.

To me - they both sound good - my decision is based on the environment I'm in. I wouldn't want to try the bose earbuds on an airplane.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Well, work can involve travel for me. And sometimes I really want to block out any noise at work too so I can concentrate better. The earbuds you have are very good though. Only have heard good things.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I love the noise cancellation since I listen to my music a pretty low settings compared to most people. (My Zune is set at 2 right now)
You must have some kind of crazy bat ears, or you like your music barely audible - I'm listening to my Zune on 2 right now with my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB's and the music is very quiet...and I'm in near silence. I didn't think noise cancellation amplified the signal...?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
David Tucker

Noise cancellation doesn't amp the signal. But since it kills ambient sound you don't need to listen to music as loud since the sound isn't competing with other noise.

But yes, I have pretty sensitive hearing. Enough that 1 or 2 on an MP3 player is enough for me

Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
But yes, I have pretty sensitive hearing.
Dude, that's an understatement!