Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC to USA: "No Touch HD for You"

http://twitter.com/htc/statuses/948774282

Imagine witnessing the unveiling of a spectacular device, only to be denied access to it through local channels. Imagine no more. Just yesterday, HTC tweeted that the Touch HD would not be released in the US. And, as you would expect, a good number of Touch HD fans made it clear that they weren't happy. HTC's response was pretty much salt in the wound, with the company suggesting that it previously had no idea that there was huge demand for high-end devices in the US, but now it knows! There's your cue for some facepalm action.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM
bubuschoeny
Pupil
Default Ouch

Doesn't HTC know the American way? We over consume on personal electronics. I think I just got kicked int he nuts, ouch.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
tnels!
Banned

So, why can't an American company build a phone that is as good or better than the HD?? Who do we really have to blame (or complain to) here?

Last edited by tnels!; 10-07-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
efjay
Theorist

Unfortunately the American way is to prefer free or as cheap as possible phones which doesnt do HTC any good if they want to turn a profit on the Touch HD. The number of sales they would get from users of sites like this willing to import is small compared to the number they would attract with a carrier subsidy so catering to such a small market really isnt the best business for HTC.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I was under the impression that the US version of the HTC Touch was selling out a fair bit from Best Buy and it is a fantastic seller on Sprint's CDMA network. The demand for high end HTC phones are there if you choose not to ignore the sales numbers

Old 10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
frankenbike
Intellectual

With the Touch HD selling for 850 Euros, they'd have to sell it for $1000 in the states to make the same money. Even with subsidies, it would still come to no less than $700.

Definitely not competitive with the iPhone for far less money in the GSM market. I don't even think it would go over that well in the CDMA market. And especially now, with the current economic crisis, a $1000 phone just couldn't sell well enough to make it worth their while.

I think they've got it right. We're cheap bastards, and they know we're not gonna spend that much on phones we know we'll be replacing in two years.

Still waiting for that 1/2" (12.5mm) thick keyboard phone

I also think that for a high res phone, they need the killer app of a browser like Skyfire to be ready for market anyway.

--
FB

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

I'm probably not a typical US consumer -- two years ago I paid $600 for my unlocked Eten M700.

I _might_ be willing to pay $800 US for a top-of-the-line phone, as long as it was fast, had lots of memory, excellent battery life, good media playback (coule replace my ipod) and a good service record -- and if I was absolutely in love with it.

But $1000 plus? No thank you.

I'm looking at the Touch Pro mid-next year if/when the price comes down to about $800. Of course if my banged-up M700 dies before then who knows...

Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

This stinks. I'm sure that because of the price of this device, it would be a difficult sale without carrier subsidy. AT&T probably didn't want to pick it up because it's a direct competitor to their money-printing license (iPhone).

It still doesn't makes sense to me that HTC doesn't include the N.A. band radios by default. They have previously included them (TyTn I & II) and HP and Palm both managed to do the same with their relatively slim 910 and Pro. It CAN'T add that much cost the manufacture of these units. And if the radio was already there, they could offer these through Best Buy or the like. I don't understand why HTC thinks it's a good thing to limit the size of their potential market as they continue to insist on doing with each product release. This is especially confusing when you consider that the HD is a high end device which will have a somewhat limited market to begin with.

I know HTC says there isn't room in these devices for the "extra radio", but I think that's BS. I think for whatever reason they are artificially limiting access to these devices in the US. Perhaps to keep the all-powerful carriers happy, by not competiting with them?? Thereby making it easier to get the carriers to pickup their next new device.

It would sure be nice for Microsoft to step to the plate and find an OEM partner willing to deliver a true competitor to the iPhone in their own home country! I know MS believes that providing the software, while others provide the hardware is best. However, that shouldn't preclude them from assisting an OEM in the design and delivery of a best in class device. Intel has done a good job of this with their MIDs, which we are now starting to see trickle in.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

FWIW: Was talking to my favorite AT&T Rep about the upcoming Fuze, and the response I got was "Probably, but don't hold your breath..."

Seems their store just received a shipment of 300 (!) Tilts with the latest version of Windows Mobile (6.1 - ?), so they are not expecting anything else in that line "soon."
And, on top of that, "We are having trouble GIVING the Tilts away. No one wants to spend $300 on any other phone once they see the iPhone" - even though it (the iPhone) is "not great for business use."
Apparently business users ARE still drawn to the Blackberrys, and he is currently carrying around a Samsung BlackJackII - which apparently works a lot better with the latest WM upgrade.

He also spoke of a number of units that were Announced as future releases - but got Canceled before ever making it to market due the decision that there would be insufficient sales to justify the attempt.

In his opinion: In America, the market is driven by the carriers - you buy what your carrier offers you, and you do so at a subsidized price. In Europe, the market is driven by the manufacturers - you buy the phone you want, and then shop around for a carrier, as they all use the same technology...

One thing I know: cannot imagine ever spending $700 - or even $400 - for a phone, no matter how fancy. Can understand the appeal - and perhaps the rationalization for someone who is using it in place of several devices - but simply do not see enough Personal Benefit to justify that kind of outlay.

Apparently - as someone has already noted - the manufacturers / carriers tend to believe that there is a Very Limited Market for high-end phones in the US.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenbike View Post
Definitely not competitive with the iPhone for far less money in the GSM market. I don't even think it would go over that well in the CDMA market.
Why? The CDMA market is just as big as GSM in the US. I don't really think there is a huge difference in the demographic makeup of either, is there?

Quote:
I think they've got it right. We're cheap bastards, and they know we're not gonna spend that much on phones we know we'll be replacing in two years.
Pretty accurate statement - though 6 months per phone are all some of us seem to make it.

Quote:
Still waiting for that 1/2" (12.5mm) thick keyboard phone
The HP iPaq 910 almost gets there at 16 mm. I wouldn't consider it too thick. However, it has other issues - small screen, eats battery like a kid eats sugar, somewhat slow, can't rotate screen etc. But we are getting there!

Quote:
I also think that for a high res phone, they need the killer app of a browser like Skyfire to be ready for market anyway.
Except Skyfire only works on QVGA devices today. Actually Opera 9.5 is pretty decent - not quite as good as Safari on the iPhone, but more stable, in my experience. Hopefully we'll see Mobile Firefox soon and and make this even less of an issue.

Tags
htc, touch hd