Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Confirms: No Plans To Build Handsets

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/9/...re-says-redmond

"Unlike Apple or RIM, which design both their phones and operating system, Microsoft (MSFT) has been taking a different approach for several years -- focusing on the OS and letting partners figure out what the gadget will do and where it'll sell. This is sort of what Google's doing with Android and its Open Handset Alliance. Despite having its own gadget design teams -- which make the Zune and Xbox -- Microsoft has 'no plans to build our own phone,' says Scott Rockfeld, group product manager for Windows Mobile. 'Right now we're happy to share the limelight,' he adds."

Well to be honest, this is pretty unsurprising news. I know in the past I have been a huge supporter of Microsoft building their own Windows Mobile device so they would not have to worry about their partners cutting corners and releasing unattractive and hard to use devices that can hurt their brand. Recently however with Steve Ballmer’s internal memo that was floating which stated that Microsoft would "work with hardware vendors to ensure that we can provide complete experiences with absolutely no compromises," I am more faithful that we will see more fun and stable devices in the future. Here’s hoping we hear something tangible about these new devices soon, I'm getting antsy.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:22 PM
mbranscum
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post

"... Microsoft (MSFT) has been taking a different approach for several years -- focusing on the OS...
Well with all that time for "focus" on just their OS, why are they lagging so far behind on so many of their abilities???

It seems they would be head and shoulders above the competition!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
It seems they would be head and shoulders above the competition!
What? Microsoft has a dandruff problem?!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
MadSci
Ponderer
Default OS Vaudeville...

Quote:
What? Microsoft has a dandruff problem?!
That's why their Operating Systems are so Flaky

(Badoom Bah! and a RIM shot )

MadSci

Last edited by MadSci; 09-26-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Danger!

Quote:
Well to be honest, this is pretty unsurprising news.
Nope, it's not. When Microsoft bought Danger, some people thought they'd be making their own hardware. I figured they were buying them for their software, though.

Making their own hardware would pretty much alienate all of their partners, so unless Microsoft thought they could go it alone like Apple and RIM, they'd be screwed.

Maybe Microsoft could get the Danger people to build a reference platform that could be given to OEMs, though. That might be the best of both worlds.

Quote:
I am more faithful that we will see more fun and stable devices in the future.
This makes it sound like you blame the OEMs for unstable devices. I don't know if that's true, but if a bunch of devices from different OEMs are unstable and share the same OS, it's logical to blame the OS. And that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.

Steve

Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
This makes it sound like you blame the OEMs for unstable devices. I don't know if that's true, but if a bunch of devices from different OEMs are unstable and share the same OS, it's logical to blame the OS. And that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.
I blame the OEMs for a large majority of the unstable devices out there. Building a phone is hard and at times I feel as though a lot of the manufactures rush devices out the door to meet deadlines ignoring little bugs here and there. There should be no reason why one feature will work wonderfully on one handset and the same feature will be buggy on another handset. It all really comes down how well the developers intergrate Windows Mobile into the hardware and how careful they are during their QA (quality assurance) process.