Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default REDFLY Mobile Companion for $199

http://www.getredfly.com/products/p...3&subcategory=4

"Celio has found that a REDFLY device in the hands of media, developers or mobile enthusiasts has tremendous viral marketing benefit. Therefore, we have budgeted a limited amount* of REDFLY devices for placement at $199 until October 31, 2008."

Now this is more like it. Remember the Redfly? It's a wireless smartphone terminal with a large screen and full keyboard with no OS, no CPU, and no storage. The Redfly wirelessly attaches to your smartphone and lets you read and write email, read attachments, view web sites, and use applications that reside on your smartphone. It is normally priced at around $500.00 which I thought was a bit expensive considering I purchased my 20 gig Asus EEE for $349 with an 8.9" screen. But I have to admit for $199 the Redfly is an attractive option for those who want to turn their PDA into more of a laptop. Do any of you use the Redfly? If so, do you like it? If you're in the market to buy one, do it by October 31st.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Much Better

I saw this news item yesterday and am definitely considering getting one for my Motorola Q9m. The biggest problem that I have with the Q9m is reading the display while using IE Mobile (the font sizes don't get large enough), and this might make things easier.

I was considering carrying my laptop to work every day, but I'd rather take the RedFly because it's probably quite a bit lighter and, if it gets stolen, my data will still be with my phone. It will also put less wear and tear on my laptop.

However, at the original price, there's no way I would buy it. At $200, I just might bite.

Steve

Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Yea, I'm just not getting the value proposition. However, I do understand that they started this project before the netbook craze. Still, I think netbooks have rendered this device moot at the price point they are going for.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I really want one of these... But with the way the price has dropped, how much longer will the company be around? Will this work with my next device? Or am I just throwing $199 out the window only to use it for the next few months?

Hmm...

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Price Drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
I really want one of these... But with the way the price has dropped, how much longer will the company be around? Will this work with my next device? Or am I just throwing $199 out the window only to use it for the next few months?
Their claim is that this isn't really a price drop; they're just extending their "Seed Program" price to basically everybody for a little over a month.

Maybe they'll see tons of sales at this price and the volume will make up for the price cut (as long as they're still making money at $200). That's what I'm hoping, at least.

Steve

Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 AM
kdarling
Pupil
Default This is a deal !

At this price, I bought one immediately. Will get another for a friend if it works well.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Can someone explain the benefit of this over the cheapest of the netbooks? The size of the unit is about the same as the netbooks, but you don't get the benefits of the full OS on the laptop or the extra storage space.

I read the (two) reviews at Amazon, and the only benefits I see is battery life and there is zero maintenance (i.e., you don't have to rebuild the OS, since there isn't one).

Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
bradinvancouver
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to bradinvancouver

I would think the main advantage is for those with unlimited data plans - no need to tether and no need for wifi connection. I can definitely see the use of this although if you had one of the new wvga smartphones with bluetooth mouse and keyboard, the only possible advantage would be physical screen size.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 PM
r@dimus
Ponderer

At a price of $199, it's sort of like buying a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for your PPC and getting a big LCD screen for free, but the lack of all the maintenance that goes into a normal laptop or netbook is the biggest benefit. You don't have to worry about keeping it patched, whether you left any important data on it if it gets stolen or left behind, etc etc. In a corporate environment that also means you're not managing another software image, licenses, performing additional compatibility tests, security configs, GPO's, etc etc.

Too bad they don't have a drive for a Dell X51v or the new HP iPaqs.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:47 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

I hadn't thought of it from the enterprise perspective - that makes sense, although
$199 isn't their permanent pricing. Maybe it's not going back to $500, but even if the cost is equal between the two, it's a lot for what is, as you say, essentially a BT keyboard and VGA out.

I do see some marginal value in not having to maintain another OS, but IMO the benefit of the extra features far outweighs the burden.

I guess this is a product that I just don't see being successful unless they cut the price pretty significantly.

Tags
celio, redfly