Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default eReader.com Rewards Program

http://www.ereader.com/help/rewardsfaq.htm

"The eReader Rewards system allows you to earn 15% or more on every purchase you make at eReader.com. To earn eReader Rewards all you have to do is sign up for our newsletter. Rewards Dollars are automatically earned on every purchase, and are automatically applied to future orders at eReader.com. Rewards Dollars earned on prior orders may cancel out part or even all of the purchase price of the new order."

For years, eReader.com has given discounts, usually 10% off, to the newsletter subscribers, which is nice, but has always been a bit of a pain to find the most recent newsletter in your inbox and find the code. This was especially troublesome if you were buying from your device and the email was no longer on there. They have now done away with the coupon code requirement and are just crediting your account with 15% of the purchase price, good on your next purchase. That will make things easier, and also encourages repeat business. I am curious though if the 15% is calculated on the base price or the price after application of the discount. Say you have a $1.00 credit in your account from a previous purchase and you buy a $10.00 ebook. You'll pay $9.00, right? So, will your next credit be $1.50 ($10 X 15%) or $1.35 ($9 X 15%)?

To be eligible for the rewards, you just need to head over to their site and subscribe to the newsletter. They have eReader software for all Windows Mobile devces running a 2002 version of the OS or later, as well as your Windows and Mac desktop, as well as a few other mobile platforms.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Felix Torres
Mystic

I dunno; eReader is in a very exposed position right now.
They've been taking some flack lately over their pricing on Fictionwise and on the eReader stores and its not all their doing. They just don't have Amazon's clout with the publishers and the scattershot pricing schemes they're stuck with don't look so hot next to Amazon's Kindle-edition pricing.
Add in that most second-tier dedicated Reader devices are converging on Mobipocket and the big publishing houses are starting to push for an ePub ecosystem and the eReader ecosystem is looking darn vulnerable. If Apple actually releases the longed-after large-format iPod and gets into ebooks, eReader could be the first casualty.

Last edited by Felix Torres; 09-24-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 07:09 PM
alanjrobertson
Ponderer

We don't have the option of the Kindle, etc. over here in the UK so eReader is still one of the best options about. I still quite like them & this automatic discount seems pretty good - they've got versions of eReader for all major platforms (including iPods) and I like their style of DRM - just your credit card number, so even if the go bust you can re-enter your number (the assumption being that you won't want to distribute lots of content and give you CC number away with it!).

Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

I love eReader. I have had an account there for several years and through multiple devices and operating systems (Pocket PC, Palm OS, and now iPhone). The books are well done, I can read them on any system, and I don't need to invest in a separate and expensive ebook reader. My only real complaint is that the books are sometimes too expensive.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 AM
jeisner
Ponderer

Compared to Australian book prices ereader is great.. I don't want kindle as I can't read the books on my PDA or eeePC (and I don't want another device to carry around).. As others have said I have used ereader through multiple devices and platforms, that is their biggest strength IMO (hopefully we get am android version soon)..

Quote:
So, will your next credit be $1.50 ($10 X 15%) or $1.35 ($9 X 15%)?
I bought a few books yesterday and the answer is $1.35

Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I'm not a huge ebook buyer, but when I do its from eReader. I just wish my Zune had eReader support.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Ugh. This deal isn't as great as it is made out to be. If you buy an $8 book, you have a $1.20 "reward"

If you go buy another $8 book, your net is $6.80. You get 15% off of that, so your next reward is $1.02. That isn't a 15% reward off of the $8. it is only 12.75%.

And to make matters worse, if you have to pay sales tax, you pay it both times on the $8.