Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Spb Online Released to End-Users

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/pro...ucts/online/?en

"Spb Software, the world's leading maker of Windows Mobile software releases Spb Online to end-users. Spb Online is a set of attractive online services that share a practical user interface and make superior quality mobile entertainment available on handsets at a single fixed-price fee (no subscription). The services offered include Mobile TV, Online Radio, News, Weather, Online Games, and On-device Catalog - all subject to automatic updates and powered by Spb's exclusive interface engine and patent-pending TV technology. Spb Online is robust and easy to use even for novice smartphone users.  All of Spb Online services support adaptive skins, smart scrolling, 3D transition effects, and one hand navigation."

Remember Spb Online? It's now available for download, whether you're sporting a Windows Mobile Classic/Professional (Pocket PC) device or a Standard (Smartphone) device. Our affiliate software store has the full version for the former for $29.95.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

This looks interesting. I think I'll try it out.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 AM
hotdram
Theorist

Is it just a portal to let you buy the tv, music, games etc services? Or for a one time $30 purchase, can I watch TV, play games etc on my phone (with my unlimited data plan)?

Thanks,
~Rob

Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

At least right now, the Themes and Ringtones sections seem to be just portal purchases. I have been using the News tab as it's essentially an RSS reader. I've also been using the Radio tab to add favorite streaming stations. On both of these, there are some preset options, but you can add your own favorites. I've forgotten where the weather tab pulls it's info from, but you can add multiple cities. I think all of the TV options are non-US and several are non-English language. I'm just not a heavy TV watcher of any sort, so I haven't used this much. The games tab allows you to play a real-time opponent. It queries a server for another available opponent online. However, think checkers, not WoW.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 AM
hotdram
Theorist

Thanks for the info Paul. I think I will pass for now.

~Rob

Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
piperpilot
Sage

My take is that it needs more available content. The best application so far is the radio. I used the by region, by city function to set up the radio stations I usually listen to and it worked flawlessly. The TV stations were all foreign (except NASA tv and a west coast weather channel) and the picture was very choppy on my Tilt. The games were pretty rudimentary. I think this application has a lot of potential--SPB Software House is my favorite developer--but I don't think it's ready for prime time yet. They need to work in the ability for users to add TV, radio stations and games for those who want to do the searching and provide a greater menu of offerings in each category for those who don't want to search out the options for themselves. I would be interested to find out how SPB did marketing this application to mobile service providers.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

See my thorough review here at PPCT: http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f323...ine-90740.html

Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Streaming Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperpilot View Post
My take is that it needs more available content. The best application so far is the radio.
But (almost) every Windows Mobile device already has a decent streaming radio application -- Pocket IE (combined with Windows Media Player). Just go to Tuned.mobi and see.

If you want Internet radio (as opposed to broadcast radio streamed over the Internet), check out Resco Pocket Radio or Kinoma Play.

Steve

Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Constant Caffeine
Intellectual

I already have some of those features on my TYTNII. I am either walking or biking to and from work so I find the television feature interesting, but I would not use it. As for radio, I have not listen to a radio broadcast in years, too commercialized. Too political this time of the year.

This package would have to offer a lot of other items for me to open up my wallet, not portals to give them more money.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperpilot View Post
the picture was very choppy on my Tilt.
SO uses the WMP engine to render content - that is, you can't expect more, "thanks" to HTC's not providing a decent video driver.

Tags
spb, streaming