Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Touch HD: Eye-Candy, Lots of It!

http://www.mobifrance.com/news/2008...e-HTC-Touch-HD/

The iPhone 3G may only be a mere two months old, but it's already looking lackluster next to the HTC Touch HD. If you're not already drooling, take a look at the video after the break, as well as the pictures at MobiFrance (translated version). As revealed on Monday, the Touch HD packs a Qualcomm MSM 7201A 528MHz processor, 288MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a 5.0-megapixel camera, and a gorgeous 3.8" WVGA (480 x 800) touch screen, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, A-GPS, an FM radio, and a microSD slot thrown in for good measure. It's just too bad this particular version only sports 900/2100MHz HSDPA connectivity; so, if you're in the US, Australia, or anywhere else that uses 850MHz, you'll have to wait your turn.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

I wanted to get the Touch Pro but now I have second thoughts. Touch HD looks like a real "Dream" device!!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
ianl
Pupil
Default HTC Touch HD

As you noted, Darius, it lacks the 850Mhz for 3G in Aus.

HTC has made a dumb marketing decision here (well, surprise me)

One advantage from this is that it will help bring down the price of the Eten xx900 series in the process of retail release. Eten have kept quad-band GSM and tri-band UMTS

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Excellent screen but the problem is that WM 6 does not support "touch functionalities" as well as the IPhone. now if HTC would sell it with a timely, guaranteed upgrade to VM7 I would seriously consider it but because this is very unlikely I remain at the window checking...

Old 09-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Phronetix
Thinker

Cool. This is the first device since the first iPhone was released last year that has even remotely intrigued me.

To be honest though, I suspect that the touch experience just could not measure up, and screen lust takes a back seat to usability.

Good detailed review as well.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 AM
theon
Ponderer

Correct me if I'm wrong. The functional aspect of the touch interface between the iPhone and WM devices is mainly due to the type of screen that is being used.

Is there anything holding back manufacturers from using the same capacitative screen as the iPhone for WM devices?

edit: 100th post!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

HTC has mentioned it is sticking to resistive-type touchscreens (instead of the capacitive type used in the iPhone) because that will allow stylus input for the asian (read: Chinese) market.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
wolfzell
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by theon View Post
Is there anything holding back manufacturers from using the same capacitative screen as the iPhone for WM devices?
Have you actually used the iPhone screen for more than a few minutes?

Beneath my good old HTC XDA neo I own an iPod Touch and everytime I am using it, I am instantly missing the stylus or the exactness I can get by simply using my fingernails.

Don't get me wrong, the Apple screens are fun to use and surprisingly exact, especially when using the browser and clicking tiny links, but for instance when I need to position a cursor in the text, the Apple "finger"-method for doing this is way slower and error-prone than doing it with the stylus.

I thought I might get used to it, but after 6 months I still struggle with the iPod Touch when I have to input text.

bye
Wolfgang

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. The functional aspect of the touch interface between the iPhone and WM devices is mainly due to the type of screen that is being used.

edit: 100th post!
Well, there is the application issue. Many apps are designed for precise input with a stylus. A large number of apps would have to be re-written (with bigger buttons, fonts, etc) for iPhone-like compatibility.

By the way, I see from the picture that someone has a lot of iPhone apps installed

Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Jeff_R
Ponderer

Personally, I find the usability of the iPhone to so far exceed any WM device I've used (and I've used a lot of them, going back to an iPaq 1910 and continuing through my most recent, the HTC Touch) that I won't go back until WM gets a usability revamp. To me, the iPhone screen is great, and using WM again for a higher-res screen isn't worth it. WM just stood still for too long.