Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Glofiish V900 Hands-On

We uh... fished around for a Glofiish V900, got one, and thought we'd take a handful of shots for your perusal. It's certainly a beast - Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, Samsung's new-ish S3C6400 CPU at 533MHz, 128MB RAM, 256MB ROM, a microSDHC slot, an accelerometer, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, an FM tuner, an FM transmitter, TV-out, a 3.0-megapixel auto-focus camera with flash, and a gorgeous VGA touch screen that isn't recessed. Oh yeah, there's also quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA connectivity, along with DVB-T/H and T-DMB/DAB support for all that OTA TV goodness. Plenty of accessories in the box, too. Sheesh, that's a mouthful, huh? Hopefully, we didn't leave anything out.

Click on for more pics. And if you have any questions, drop 'em in this thread.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
RogueSpear
Ponderer

Holy smokes that's a lot of built in features! I sure wouldn't mind seeing Android on that thing.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Wow, very nice device. I do love my hardware keyboards though.

So about this digital TV stuff? Is any of that actually being broadcast here in the US?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Darius, I hate you. My envy is greener than a summery grassy plain.

Have you tested it to see how the performance is? Mhz ratings are great, but there always seems to be such a variance between manufacturers, it's hard to tell if it's peppy or pokey.

Also, how's the video performance on it? Since I'm using an HTC TyTn II, I suffer from slightly choppy video performance (nothing that impedes my practical use of the phone) and yearn for smooth videos.

@Jason - AFAIK, OTA TV broadcasts have blanketed the US, much like here in Canada, though the selection of stations can vary widely.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
alexnvidia
Neophyte

is there any GPU acceleration built in for the gorgeous VGA screen like the HTC touch diamond/pro (Qtv/3D GPU acceleration from qualcomm MSM7201)? can it directly play divx/xvid 640 resolution smoothly? the specs looks pretty impressive. and finally, how's the built quality compared to htc diamond?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyresyght View Post

@Jason - AFAIK, OTA TV broadcasts have blanketed the US, much like here in Canada, though the selection of stations can vary widely.
Unfortunately, the OTA TV broadcasts are analog and ATSC digital. May be broadcast from a terrestrial body (SH) or as IP and other forms. So far, DVB-SH and DVB-H are in trials only I think and many consider the DVBH already dead in the US in favor of SH and maybe some other implementations.

Last edited by JonnoB; 08-21-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB View Post
Unfortunately, the OTA TV broadcasts are analog and ATSC digital. May be broadcast from a terrestrial body (SH) or as IP and other forms. So far, DVB-SH and DVB-H are in trials only I think and many consider the DVBH already dead in the US in favor of SH and maybe some other implementations.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I didn't know or think of the different between OTA TV boradcasts. So much for it just works.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Darius, I hate you.
Awwww. Already?

Quote:
Have you tested it to see how the performance is? Mhz ratings are great, but there always seems to be such a variance between manufacturers, it's hard to tell if it's peppy or pokey.
It's peppy, especially for a VGA device. Much faster than past VGA devices I've used (and that includes the X50v, X51v, JASJAR, X500+, and X800). The 128MB RAM and the Samsung CPU help a lot.

Quote:
Also, how's the video performance on it? Since I'm using an HTC TyTn II, I suffer from slightly choppy video performance (nothing that impedes my practical use of the phone) and yearn for smooth videos.
YouTube is smooth as silk. I haven't tested any 640 x 480 videos yet, since TCPMP isn't compatible with newer builds of WM6.1. I'll give CorePlayer a go over the coming days. But for what it's worth, one advantage of the S3C6400 is hardware acceleration for video, so it's unlikely that video performance will be choppy.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnvidia View Post
is there any GPU acceleration built in for the gorgeous VGA screen like the HTC touch diamond/pro (Qtv/3D GPU acceleration from qualcomm MSM7201)?
I'm waiting to hear back from E-TEN on this, but I believe there is no dedicated GPU. The S3C6400 offers 2D hardware acceleration, not 3D.

Quote:
can it directly play divx/xvid 640 resolution smoothly?
Just answered. Check the post above.

Quote:
the specs looks pretty impressive. and finally, how's the built quality compared to htc diamond?
It's been a while since I've handled the Diamond, and I don't have one readily available, so I'm a little hesitant to offer a direct comparison. On its own, however...

The front is plastic, while the rear has a rubberized finish. Overall, the device is very lightweight and doesn't come across as cheap. In addition, I've yet to see any scratches, which you may find interesting, considering I haven't given it the kid-glove treatment.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I didn't know or think of the different between OTA TV boradcasts. So much for it just works.
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as "hit the button and start watching". You'll probably find that most V900 users will end up using DVB-T - it's widespread in Australia, parts of Asia, and Europe. The DVB-H trial in the US didn't last long (the name "Modeo" may ring some bells).