Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Pre-Order a Dream on September 17

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008...september-17th/

"We've been hearing a lot about Android recently, from delayed release dates to a video claiming to depict the fabled HTC Dream in action. What we haven't heard, however, is anything specific about the public availability of the first Android devices to hit the streets. HTC and T-Mobile have been promising an Android-based device by the end of this year, but haven't gone any further into the specifics. TmoNews is now claiming that the HTC Dream will, in fact, be the first Android device to reach our hands. The site is reporting that T-Mobile will begin offering the Dream via a special promotional pre-sale event beginning September 17th, which is just over a month from now. The device will reportedly cost $150 for current T-Mobile subscribers, though it could sell for as much as $399 when it goes on sale to the general public some time later."

Android-based phones have been rumored almost since the day the internet started (or at least it seems that way), now it looks like one may be had by members of the carrier that manages to continually "ride the short bus" - T-Mobile. But at least it should support 3G data, and have a 3 MP camera as well as that groovy android OS. Anyone thinking of checking one out?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I've been playing around with the new Android SDK (version 0.9) and while it is certainly not complete, it is pretty fun to play with. I'm actually taking some screen caps now for everyone. As a consumer device, I can definitely see people flocking to these but I haven't seen anything so far that would want to make an enterprise professional switch.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
RogueSpear
Ponderer

It took me about two years before I began to get frustrated with the PocketPC platform (and consequently WM). It was about another four years before I found something that intrigued me enough to jump ship.

It took me about one year to get frustrated with the iPhone mainly because firmware 2.0 brought nothing to the table - particularly if you consider the applications long available via jailbreak. And now it looks like it will only be a matter of months before something comes along to get me to jump ship again.

So on the bright side of things, depending on your point of view, Microsoft was able to sucker me in for about six years with my iPAQ 3970. Apple only got me for about a year. Between my distaste for AT&T and my quickly thinning hair because I can't stream audio with a device that has Bluetooth 2.0 built in, this will be an easy decision to make.

Clicking on X does not close an application (MS) = No cut and paste in the OS (Apple)

Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 AM
ctitanic
Oracle

there is also a rumor that if Google will offer discounts on the phone and service to those willing to receive adds in the phone.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Not checking out. I'm outright buying. The question I have is does/will this thing support T Mobile @ Home WIFI calling? the only other device is the Wing and I've played around with that. Too slow. The processor was not designed for either that OS or was downclocked. Because it shouldn't feel that slow for an instore system.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 AM
davea
Ponderer
Default Some problems for starters....

I'm ready to turn in my T-Mobile SDA with WM 6.1 installed, but....

1. DATA ACCESS COST: phandroid.com web site quote: �A monthly $35 data fee is required for HTC Dream to work and you�ll receive unlimited data and messaging for your hard earned dollar. Actually, you can pay only $25 and you�ll receive unlimited data and only 400 messages but you get the idea.� NO WAY - I'm leaving unlimited data with WAP access for $4.95!

2. HANDSET COST: Also from phandroid.com Existing customers pre-order the Dream for $199 with a 2-year contract. Ouch! $150 is much better than $199!

3. MAPPING Software availability: None available initially? How could that be with built in GPS?

4. Lack of other 3rd party software support currently enjoyed with WMobile.