Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Touch Pro Unboxed

The HTC Touch Pro, widely seen as a Touch Diamond + keyboard, has come out of its shell this week. Both Engadget and Tracy & Matt have given it the unboxing treatment. Like all new toys, it has a few downsides. First, there's the thickness. It's comparable to the Tilt's (TyTN II), but if you're used to the slender build of the Touch Diamond or iPhone 3G, you'll be labelling the Touch Pro a brick the moment you set your eyes on it. Second, there's no 3.5mm headphone jack, but that's nothing new in the world of HTC. So, audiophiles, be warned: you may need an adapter or two to get the Touch Pro to play nice with your favourite cans. Third, there's the touch screen. I appreciate HTC's efforts in making Windows Mobile more touch-friendly, but having played with the iPhone and a wide range of (supposedly) touch-friendly Windows Mobile devices, I do think there's a world of difference between capacitive and non-capacitive touch screens. The Touch Pro has the latter. So while the touch experience on the Touch Pro might be great, it could certainly be better.

That said, this still seems like a solid device. Any of you own one or have played with one and care to weigh in with your thoughts? If you're interested in ordering one, our affiliate hardware store (Expansys) is expecting stock in less than two weeks.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Solid -- but man that price is a killer.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

I wish Sprint would offer an Iphone. Looks like I will have to settle for another HTC phone, which I am sure will have some of the same (as my Mogul) and some new problems that are attributable to all HTC/WM products.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM
wmm
Pupil

This looks to be my second-favorite device that's either just out or coming soon. Its main disadvantage is the physical keyboard and corresponding thickness (I never use the keyboard on my current device, a Cingular 8525/TyTN/Hermes), and the screen resolution isn't as good as the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1. However, it fixes the significant drawbacks of the Touch Diamond (lack of microSD support, lack of a camera flash, low-capacity battery). My ideal device would be the Samsung Omnia with the screen from the Xperia X1, but no one is making anything like that currently.

Anyhow, it's all moot for me until AT&T announces which, if any, of these devices it will carry and subsidize; I certainly can't justify spending $600-$1000 on a phone, no matter how nice, so I'll have to wait and see what AT&T will do.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM
MattMojo
Pupil
Default no question ---- I WANT!!!

After watching this video http://www.expansys-usa.com/video.aspx?id=1441&i=169845

there is no question that this is the replacement for my most excellent i-760

Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 PM
cab124
Intellectual

I want now!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Amazing device... I don't know if i could justify the upgrade price from my TyTN II though.

I had planned on waiting until WM7 came out before upgrading.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:08 AM
netboy
Intellectual

you kids do know this phone wont work with USA 3.5G, right?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaAddict View Post
I wish Sprint would offer an Iphone. Looks like I will have to settle for another HTC phone, which I am sure will have some of the same (as my Mogul) and some new problems that are attributable to all HTC/WM products.
Alas, it'll not happen in the near future. Apple seems committed to GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA for the time being, and Sprint uses none of those.

This looks like a killer device, although I'm curious about its battery life. I've heard the Touch Diamond with its small battery has a fairly short battery life.

--janak

Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM
MattMojo
Pupil
Default Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy View Post
you kids do know this phone wont work with USA 3.5G, right?

They have submitted CDMA/EVDO version I believe to the FCC --- So all should be good for us Verizon users ---- we just may have to wait a little longer than most.

Mojo