Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Android delayed, HTC Doubting the Almighty Google?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...-equities-says/

"The word from Half Moon bay is that Google’s 'GPhone' cell-phones, being built by various handset makers, could be delayed from an end-of-year introduction to sometime later in the first quarter of next year, according to Trip Chowdhry of Global Equities Research. Among the issues causing the apparent delay are the following: Handset maker High Tech Computer (HTCKF) is 'having structural problems to incorporate Google’s demanded feature set'; HTC is 'demanding a guaranteed minimum revenue surety from Google', from which Chowdhry concludes that 'Probably HTC does not think there will be enough demand for GPhone.'"

When Google's operating system was first announced I was incredibly excited. The more competition there is, the better the products get for us consumers over time. Though after taking some time to play with Google's Developer kit every few months since it was released, I became less and less impressed with it over time. Sure it does some cool things but just like Google's Internet presence, Google's operating system feels like bits and chunks services thrown together into a big pile of Beta. This might work for the web but I cannot see this working for the average consumer. It seems as though the Powers That Be at HTC are starting to have their doubts about Google's operating system as well, but their doubts come from a different problem that I never even thought about; will there really be that much of a demand for a Google phone? What do you guys think?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Stinger
Thinker

I don't understand how "second half of the year" to "before the end of the year" can be classed as a delay.

I see a lot of people on gadget blogs who say that they want an Android phone but I can't figure out why. There doesn't seem to be any killer feature that they're interested in. It must be the brand associated with the product.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
eturfboer
Neophyte

In my opinion the acceptance of mobile operating systems depend on a the functionationality and b the ability to choose. Currently a Nokia has Symbian and others have different operating systems. Andriods can only have succes if one could choose which OS to run on his or her phone, just like on the desktop, where one can choose Windows, Linux, etc. The reason is that currently people are most likely to chose a phone for the phone itself, rather than the OS. It would be most preferable that one would be able to choose a phone of his preference as well as the OS.

...I see some technical issues...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Mechanicaldan
Neophyte

No, I don't think there will be that much demand for a Google Operating System phone. It will be a niche. HTC and other manufacturer should be worried about potential customer demand. If you look at the market, there is already a good variety of operating systems for competition. Apple, MS, Symbian, Palm, Linux, etc, and plenty of hardware vendors.

With the introduction of Apple into the mix, THEY were the competition that the market needed for change. Google is not needed. All the handset makers had to step up their game to compete with the iPhone.

All the software companies are still currently trying to make the UIs much better.

Follow the money. Proof that there is enough competition in the mobile phone market is that Apple (the standard) has lowered their prices to compete with all the "iPhone killers."

Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
mmain
Neophyte

I too was excited when the "gphone" was announced. My opinion was that Google apps are powerful while remaining user friendly. Some of the rumored android phone features keep that excitement going for me. I won't be the first in line for one, but I will be anxiously awaiting reviews and pics... So possible sale +1.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Early on the impression that I got from a lot of people was that they gPhones would be free and be subsidized by advertising.
Some people thought free meant the handset. Others thought free meant the service. Or both.

That was the talk around my way. I don't hear much about that these days. I doubt very seriously HTC is planning on giving their hard work away.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual
Default Get Out the Salt

One thing to keep in mind here is that Chowdhry's research note is entirely made up of unconfirmed rumors and speculation. Since this story came out, both Google and Android and denied that the first Android device has been delayed to 2009.

I think there will be demand for Android-based phones. Most smartphones in the U.S. market are targeted at business users, while only Apple has been really successful reaching out to consumers. But because the iPhone is only available through AT&T, the other carriers are looking for good, consumer-oriented, models to compete against it. It's likely Android is going to fill that need.

I severely doubt any single Android model is going to have the appeal of the iPhone, but HTC plans to release a range of smartphones with different shapes and configurations to appeal to a variety of customers. Also, there are going to be Android-based devices from other makers, including Samsung and Motorola.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

I'm thinking the demand for Android-based devices will depend on 3rd-party software. If Android can have something like the iPhone AppStore with software that is 100% free/open-source, that should appeal very well to the public. One of the main hurdles of moving to a new platform is to learn what software is available and if Android fails to make this an easy task - it will not succeed because the public just doesn't have time to learn an entirely foreign platform, regardless of hardware quality.

It would be really cool if they can combine the interface of Apple's AppStore, coupled with the functionality of a Linux-based package manager (thinking something like apt or portage). Having a central location to download/install/update/remove software with only a few button presses will definitely be an advantage.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I see a lot of people on gadget blogs who say that they want an Android phone but I can't figure out why. There doesn't seem to be any killer feature that they're interested in. It must be the brand associated with the product.
When I first got wind of the project I was incredibly excited over the system due to the Web browser which promised full desktop support accross an operating system that was the same, whether you purchased a touch screen device or a non touch screen device.

I would really love to go out and purchase an HTC Touch Diamond but there are three things holding me back from doing so. For starters I cannot get the device here in the US at the moment (not until after September anyways) and then on top of that I would have to repurchase all of my already ungodly expensive application library just so it will be compatible with the Pocket PC. Then last and not least... my hatred of smudges... but I'm working on that one!

We desperately need a unified operating system that gives the users choice on which type of handset design they want whether it is a touch screen or not so the customer doesn't get shafted when they decide to try a different flavor of device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicaldan View Post
Follow the money. Proof that there is enough competition in the mobile phone market is that Apple (the standard) has lowered their prices to compete with all the "iPhone killers."
I would in no way consider Apple the standard in the mobile arena. Sure they have upped the bar a bit but that is all. To just ignore the other handset makers sales figures and customer base because Apple shouts their minor achivements the loudest is just silly. That is like calling the Zune the standard in portable MP3 players because their was a ton of good publicity over the 2.0 UI and completely ignoring the fact that the iPod outsells it a bagillion to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMania View Post
I'm thinking the demand for Android-based devices will depend on 3rd-party software. If Android can have something like the iPhone AppStore with software that is 100% free/open-source, that should appeal very well to the public.
True but this is something that could be beneficial, and done now with current technology, for all mobile platforms.

I think their will be a demand for Google devices but not because it is a Google operating system. One thing I always found amusing when I sold cellular phones was that the handsets that were carrier branded, almost always smartphones, sold incredibly well but almost never for the fact that they were smartphones. Several times I had customers tell me that they didn't want to go with Palm or Blackberry or Motorola, they wanted the cingular branded device because it was made by Cingular and they felt it would work better on the network. Rational thinking would tell you as a consumer that you would want a Nintendo branded Wiimote and not one made by MadCatz or some other third party as the one branded by the manufacturer would be higher quality.

With Google taking a Microsoft approach so everyone and their grandmother can create a gPhone with their brand on it like the carriers do - people will just buy these devices because by default they feel they will work better. Weird huh?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM
wshwe
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
We desperately need a unified operating system that gives the users choice on which type of handset design they want whether it is a touch screen or not so the customer doesn't get shafted when they decide to try a different flavor of device.
Most people don't buy applications for their smartphones. They use what came with the phone or what their IT department installs on it. They're much more likely to buy ringtones than programs.