Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC e-Club Undergoes Changes, ROM Updates Available to (Almost) Everyone

http://www.htc.com/www/support.aspx

There's a fresh breeze going through HTC HQ at the moment. The company has opened up ROM updates to almost everyone. I say "almost", because you still need your device's serial number to download the updates, but that's a heck of a lot better than the notoriously flaky process of registering your device in the e-Club.

With ROM updates available in the Support section, the e-Club now serves as a hub for mobile content. While only twenty ringtones are up for grabs at the moment, they're surprisingly decent. Four of them are the tunes featured in the Touch Diamond promo videos. The rest are a mix of electronic, folk, rock, hip-hop, and new age beats. You do need to be an e-Club member to download them, but it's free for anyone (even non-HTC customers) to register.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

This article was posted on Smartphone Thoughts too, yet the thread for it is in Pocket PC Thoughts, so no flames, OK?

The HTC s730 is one of the few that doesn't have a ROM update availible. Is the HTC s730 ever going to get a ROM update? If so, any chance it will be a ROM with WM 6.1??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

It wasn't among the ones they announced a 6.1 update for. Whether there'll be any other type of ROM updates for it -- you'd probably have better luck checking with them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchris View Post
This article was posted on Smartphone Thoughts too, yet the thread for it is in Pocket PC Thoughts, so no flames, OK?

The HTC s730 is one of the few that doesn't have a ROM update availible. Is the HTC s730 ever going to get a ROM update? If so, any chance it will be a ROM with WM 6.1??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

It's not really all that much more open than before. I have an AT&T - branded Kaiser (TyTNII) and the site will not let me download the WM6.1 saying that "It's not intended for your device".

Not much different from the situation before.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:44 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

While I applaud the concept of making the updates available to everyone, it would be nice if they gave us some idea of what was actually in the update. They have a ROM update for the HYC Touch (CDMA), but all it says about it is, "New features and improvements are available with this operating software update". Well thanks, that gives me a good idea of whether or not its worth my while to wipe out my entire device and rebuild it from scratch.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
carbonyle
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander View Post
While I applaud the concept of making the updates available to everyone, it would be nice if they gave us some idea of what was actually in the update. They have a ROM update for the HYC Touch (CDMA), but all it says about it is, "New features and improvements are available with this operating software update". Well thanks, that gives me a good idea of whether or not its worth my while to wipe out my entire device and rebuild it from scratch.
I've check for HTC S710 (Vox) Rom update: There is BUT build doesn't change so there is.... nothing new (no wm6.1....) Hopefully there is XDA (I found new vox roms wm6.1)
My tought is: if you want a rom upgrade do it yourself or check XDA forum (even my old Axim x51v is wm6.1, but dell just kept a unstable wm5 rom)