Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Experience Mobility Gets a New Home

http://experiencemobility.net/?p=5

"Sad but true, we are starting over after finding that I was infiltrated with a serious amount of hidden SPAM within my blog.  Evidently there was a vulnerability that was exploited at sometime and no matter what we did to remove it, it kept coming back.  I suppose I could have left it there but it was just the point of having it that bothered me.  Because it was not only in the blog but was also riddled through my database, it was decided that the best tact to take was to start fresh. So what about all my previous posts and reviews?  I am not going to make an attempt to retrieve the old posts but over time, I will try to bring back my reviews but that will be a time consuming project and I am thinking it may well be a great Winter project. I do feel bad that there will be a lot of lost links... but life does go on."

I just received this pretty startling news from Jack Cook earlier of Experience Mobility fame. Somehow some nasty spammers found vulnerability in their site and completely bombarded their database with a ton of spam postings which in turn lead to them wiping the database clean and starting fresh. Hopefully now that Experience Mobility has a fresh start and the old vulnerability has been addressed the spammers will just move along and harass someone else. We here at Thoughts Media know all too well how much of a pain dealing with spammers is. Heck one night I went on a head to head battle with a spammer and ended up deleting over 200 posts as they were posting them! I cannot stress enough how much I hate spammers.

So for those of you wondering where Experience Mobility went, you can check out the new site here. Also if you subscribed to Jack's RSS feed please take note that the new RSS feed link can be found here!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Unhappy backups ?

I assume that they did have backups, but didn't know when the malicious code was introduced? (making a restore not so straight forward) Too bad, since a restore to a previous state would save many of those links he's sad to see gone...

m.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

The unfortunate reality about running a Web site these days with commenting systems is that you have to be vigilant. Deactivate old threads, get email notification about new comments, use filtering services like Akismet, only allow comments to go live if they've been approved, etc.