Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Yahoo! Music Pulls Plug On Store And DRM Servers

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ys-with-it.html

"The bad dream of DRM continues. Yahoo e-mailed its Yahoo! Music Store customers yesterday, telling them it will be closing for good—and the company will take its DRM license key servers offline on September 30, 2008. Sure, it's bad news and yet another example of the sheer lobotomized brain-deadness that has characterized music DRM, but the reaction of most music fans will be: "Yahoo had an online music store?" "

I had Yahoo! Music a few years ago and really liked it until my licenses would no longer update, and after 3-4 email exchanges, uinstall/reinstalls, I demanded a partial refund and that was the last time I'd ever deal with DRM like that again. If you have Yahoo! Music, you have about 60 days to burn what you want to CD and re-rip it unprotected so you can listen to what you purchased. And for your music needs, see Amazon's MP3 store. Everything there is unlocked.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

DRM = poison

No one should *ever* spend money on DRM'd music, not unless they're willing to burn it to CD and re-rip it to bypass the DRM.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Chris Gohlke

Here is the question. Is Yahoo going to come out with a non-DRM music store? If so, they've just peeved off their existing customer base (the most likely and easiest group to convince to make new purchases). Instead, why not offer existing customers the non-DRMd version of their purchases for free? They have already paid for them. They could have actually made a good PR situation out of this.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
DRM = poison

No one should *ever* spend money on DRM'd music, not unless they're willing to burn it to CD and re-rip it to bypass the DRM.
Didn't Yahoo!'s music store use Microsoft based DRM? Wouldn't something like FairUse4WM work to rip the DRM off of the tracks. I know FairUse4WM is a touchy subject because it could be used for piracy but for a situation such as this it could be a godsend. I would hate to burn my entire music collection to CD's and then rerip them into an even more subpar quality.

This is why I buy all my digital downloads from Amazon.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
gos313
Neophyte

Those who have a Yahoo Music subscription can transfer music they downloaded to Rhapsody at the same monthly rate they were charged at Yahoo.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
....And for your music needs, see <a href="http://www.amazon.com/mp3" target="_blank">Amazon's MP3 store</a>. Everything there is unlocked.<br /></p>
"Please note that Amazon MP3 is currently only available to US customers."

So that would be:

... for your music needs .... for those who aren't american dont bother looking at ....<a href="http://www.amazon.com/mp3" target="_blank">Amazon's MP3 store</a>. Everything is unavailable!.<br /></p>

Old 07-26-2008, 01:36 AM
EscapePod
Intellectual

I feel bad for the customers who bought the music from Yahoo, but deeply despise Yahoo for buying MusicMatch which was my all-time favorite player and provider of music (even though DRM'd, too).

Of course, I guess part of the blame rests on the greed of the original Music Match owners, doesn't it.

Long live Amazon and non-DRM'd music.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:27 AM
deanhatescoffee
Pupil

Amazon has a good selection, but they're overpriced. I recommend MP3 Fiesta - DRM-free, good quality, and only $.20 per track. http://mp3fiesta.com/

Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Chris Gohlke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhatescoffee View Post
Amazon has a good selection, but they're overpriced. I recommend MP3 Fiesta - DRM-free, good quality, and only $.20 per track. http://mp3fiesta.com/
This looks like son of AllofMP3.com. Domain registered out of Ukraine. At best probably quasi legal. I nor my credit card would touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Talyn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Talyn

I'm noticing not every song on albums is the same bitrate, either. Bizarre bitrates too. 194kbps? 223kbps? 208kbps? What gives with that? I'd almost go so far as to ask if they're not simply compiling each song on an album from P2P networks then selling them.