Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta Released

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/download/

"Opera brings you the best Internet experience on any device, from computers and cell phones to portable media players and game consoles. Opera Mobile, first launched in 2000, and with over 100 million installations since 2004, was the first to bring the full Web to the small mobile screen. Opera Mobile for feature phones and smartphones has pioneered and set the standard in mobile browsing, supporting the latest technologies and receiving industry acclaim. Today, Opera continues to provide the best mobile Web experience with the first beta of Opera Mobile 9.5. Opera Mobile is the answer to the demands of Web fans everywhere. The first beta of Opera Mobile 9.5 comes outfitted with added performance, faster speed, a new UI, and Oper Dragonfly, and is ready and waiting to bring users the Web everywhere."

It's finally here! The public beta of Opera Mobile 9.5 is now available for Windows Mobile Classic/Professional (Pocket PC) devices (sorry, Standard (Smartphone) users). There are plenty of new features such as pan and zoom, a new UI, improved performance, improved standards support, AJAX support, tabbed browsing, offline browsing, auto-complete, a password manager, and Opera Dragonfly. Of course, 9.5 is not without its issues - be sure to digest them before installing. Happy browsing!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
joker
Banned

If this is really not for WM2003SE then a big FU! goes out to the lame Opera folks.
Also read the Pocket PC Magazine Blog with Werner's reply to my rant about this matter.

FU Opera!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
If this is really not for WM2003SE then a big FU! goes out to the lame Opera folks.
Also read the Pocket PC Magazine Blog with Werner's reply to my rant about this matter.

FU Opera!
WM2003SE? Sorry to say, you need to get a new device. WM2003 is already 3 versions old.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

*blinks* *rubs eyes* *checks year on calendar* is it real...?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I don't know...
I was pretty excited about this browser for some time.

I installed it on my Touch Dual, and went to google.com
No matter how I fiddled with the display settings: Mobile View, full screen, font sizes... And I can't see how this is a good usable experience. I always have to drag the view around to get to the search field. That to me is a step backwards. At least with the mobile version of the site, its right there. Simple. I'll try some more complex sites.

Also, does anyone know if Opera always pulls in the IE favorites at start up, or is it just a one time deal. I really prefer the way Netfront literally operates on the PIE favorites. Both reading and writing.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
joker
Banned

Best is to only edit your IE favorites and then in Opera go to your bookmarks and do a new import.

Did I already say?: FU Opera!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
JwY
Pupil

Huge problem for me where on exit, it deletes my notification settings (ie. notification setting for text mesages).

Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
MAK11
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwY View Post
Huge problem for me where on exit, it deletes my notification settings (ie. notification setting for text mesages).
Yup same problem for me..

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
buzzard
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK11 View Post
Yup same problem for me..
Same here. No more reminder sounds because it unchecks the box.

It also skipped over a few PIE websites when it copied them over.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Yeah pretty rough beta considering the leaked version that i was playing with worked much better. Slower but bot stable and didn't destroy my phone.

Absolutely every option in the notification setting gets disabled.

I miss the ability to manually import IE contacts when ever i want to.

I miss the ability to set the browser to identifiy as a handheld or a desktop. This option is a must have. Sometimes i just want to see the mobile site because it is way faster and gives me exactly the info i need.