Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung "BlackJack III" Spotted in Korea

http://www.aving.net/usa/news/defau..._Num=0&mn_name=

"Samsung Electronics unveiled its 3G HSDPA smartphone 'BlackJack III(model: SCH-M480)' dubbed as 'Ultra Messaging 2' in Korea market. It will be available in the mid of July through SK Telecom for around 600,000 won. Running on Windows Mobile 6 Professional, the SCH-M480...adopts a 2.6-inch touchscreen display with 320x320 pixel resolution, a BlackBerry style keypad and finger mouse. Other features included a 2M camera for video calling, MP3/MPEG4, WMV files support, and micro SD card slot."

This appears to be a close variant of the i780 that's currently in Europe (and with a slated Fall release in North America).

Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Isn't this the same as the i780 that has been available in Europe for some time now? It looks like it to me. I think Samsung is just introducing it in Korea now. Rumors have it hitting AT&T (with North America friendly radio) sometime this fall.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
Isn't this the same as the i780 that has been available in Europe for some time now? It looks like it to me. I think Samsung is just introducing it in Korea now. Rumors have it hitting AT&T (with North America friendly radio) sometime this fall.
It appears to be the i780 hardware with some cosmetic changes: softkeys have been swapped in location with the OK/close and Start keys. Numeric buttons are now all together instead of spread out. Some more keyboard layout changes.

Yes, leaked AT&T roadmaps show this coming out some time in the 3rd quarter.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Okay, nevermind, you guys have been paying more attention than me. Even though I posted a review on the i780. I guess I've been swamped as of late; I'll amend my post.

--janak

Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
dcuk7
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBrown View Post
It appears to be the i780 hardware with some cosmetic changes: softkeys have been swapped in location with the OK/close and Start keys.
The pictured device is actually the same as the i780 (I have one). The keyboard layout is the same (the number keys were never spread out on this model) and the softkeys are exactly the same.

The only difference in the pictured device from my UK i780 is the keyboard language. Seems to resemble the US keyboard layout.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuk7 View Post
The pictured device is actually the same as the i780 (I have one). The keyboard layout is the same (the number keys were never spread out on this model) and the softkeys are exactly the same.

The only difference in the pictured device from my UK i780 is the keyboard language. Seems to resemble the US keyboard layout.
Obviously there's at least two versions if the i780, then, since this is the one I was comparing against:

http://windowsonthego.files.wordpres...msung-i780.jpg

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
dcuk7
Neophyte

I believe that was a prototype image which Samsung released to the press around the time it was first spotted at Gitex in Dubai.

The final version is the same as the picture in the first post and is also the same as the i788 (US version).

Pity they didn't just make one version and have it quad band instead of tri band!