Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why 802.11n Wireless Routers Shouldn't Be Sold in Stores

I had a particularly frustrating experience last week that reminded me of my utter contempt for the un-finished wireless protocol that is 802.11n. I do a bit of computer consulting when I have time for it, and someone needs my help, so I was assisting someone with the setup of a laptop. He had purchased an HP dv6700 "Thrive" laptop based on my reccomendation (it's one beautiful machine!) and he also purchased a Linksys WRT160N 802.11n router based on the recommendation of the salesperson at Best Buy. He didn't ask me what kind of wireless router to buy. Can you guess where this is going? He spent over an hour on the phone with Linksys tech support trying to get this router working with his laptop, but he was never able to get a connection that lasted for longer than a few seconds. He returned the Linksys router and tried again with the same model, with the same results. That's when he called me for help.

I was initially hopeful that it wasn't an 802.11n compatibility issue, thinking to myself "Ok, brand new laptop, brand new router, surely they've worked things out by now?". I spent over an hour trouble-shooting this one issue, managing to get a slightly stable connection after first creating a hard-wired connection and running Windows Update (which delivered an Intel wireless chipset update), but the connection didn't last through a sleep/resume - it refused to see the network after that point. I checked for a new router firmware update (there wasn't one), and even forced the router into 802.11g mode (it didn't help). I eventually advised my client to return the fancy Linksys router and ask for a Linksys WRT54G. I came back a few days later, set up the old 802.11g router in five minutes, and had a fast, stable connection that worked through their entire house (and into the back yard). You know, the way setting up a wireless router should work.

I'm usually a big fan of the "next big thing" in technology, but I've seen more problems with 802.11n than I care to remember. When it works, it works great - but unless you're fortunate enough to have just the right chipset in your mobile device and just the right chipset in the wireless router, you're in for a world of frustration. The various comittees involved in finalizing the 802.11n spec have failed the entire technology world: by not locking the technology down and creating the standard, they've allowed all of the wireless router manufacturers to flood the market with incompatible products that destroy consumer confidence in wireless networking. I'll continue to recommend 802.11g routers over 802.11n products until such time as the technology is matured enough for real-world usage. Until then, 802.11n is dead to me.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I agree they have taken far too long to confirm a standard and consumers pay the price. I will say that I've been using the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router for at least the last year without much issue. I've used it with (No Lie) Acer, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, OQO and Gateway Laptops and at least 10 different handhelds, including WM, Palm and the Nokia N810 and only had an issue with the Intel card in one of the Acer's running Vista. It would connect, and I could surf the net fine, but it would tend to disconnect when trying to transfer files of any size. However, a subsequent driver upgrade from Intel seemed to resolve that issue. It's been rock solid stable. I can't remember the last time I reset it for any reason. Wireless Range is fantastic - the Router is in my basement and I get a great signal in the upstairs bedrooms -- two floors and oposite end of the house. I can stream HD content wirlessly to the PS3 one floor up without issue. It's really been one of the best tech experiences I've had.

Sorry about your bad experience, but maybe next time give one of these D-Links a try and see if that better meets your needs.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM
makicr
Intellectual

I have used Linksys routers for years. They have always been my router of choice. . . until now. About a year ago I paid thru the nose and bought their (then) top of the line WRT350n N-based router with USB drive file share/media server capabilities. Since then, I have had nothing but troubles. I should just junk the thing and write it off as a sunk cost, and replace the thing; but I just keep killing myself thinking that I can get it to work properly.

Last edited by makicr; 07-15-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 AM
EscapePod
Intellectual

My experience parallels Jason's and whydidnt's exactly. I started off with the same Linksys, and soon found it was incompatible with "everything", including the Linksys "N" NICs. And, as Jason noted, I couldn't get it to work locked in "G" mode either.

I did some research, went back to the store, ignored the sales staff, and bought the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit router. What a dream compared to the Linksys. Absolutely flawless performance with every brand and speed wireless NIC in the house, and that included a multitude of Cisco, Linksys, and Netgear models.

I always used to think D-Link was the bottom of the barrel. Then, a few years ago, my Company, which normally ONLY uses Cisco products, used D-Link routers and switches in our installations in Iraq (they were the only ones we could get quickly in Abu Dabi). I found that D-Link had been improving their products over the years, and all of them were very reliable and high performance.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 AM
cortez
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to cortez Send a message via MSN to cortez

interesting. i on the other hand have been using the Linksys N router as the primary router/wireless router with Verizon FiOS for 5 months without any issues. we're using 7 laptops ranging from 8 months to 2.5 years old (5 for family and 2 work laptops for me and the wife ). my (personal) laptop is the only one with an internal wireless N card and it's worked flawlessly during the past 5 months. all of the laptops are all Dells with 5 running Vista Ultimate and 2 running XP. maybe it's a Dell thing... who knows, after reading this, i'm counting my blessings and praying to the wireless network gods to not punish me for using Linksys.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
I will say that I've been using the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router for at least the last year without much issue. I've used it with (No Lie) Acer, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, OQO and Gateway Laptops...
Been there, done that. I've had Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear 802.11n products - and have had mixed results with all of them. There's always SOMETHING that doesn't quite work right. My trusty WRT54G is rock solid, and for me, I value stability more than speed when it comes to networking.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
inteller
Banned

Linksys are overpriced. Get the Netgear dual band N router that they sell at Best Buy. That router is the best one I've ever used. Completely trouble free. Range is MUCH better than my old G router.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
Linksys are overpriced. Get the Netgear dual band N router that they sell at Best Buy.
I've tried Netgear 802.11n routers as well - two of them if memory serves - and had the same types of problems. Until 802.11n is finalized, I'm literally not going to touch another router.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
robert_biggs
Ponderer

I've had real good luck with Linksys' new flagship Wireless-N model, WRT600N. My friend sets up high-end consumer networks for a living and he advised me to get a Wireless-G model as well. But I read up a lot about the pros and cons of a Wireless-N network and decided the new WRT600N had just what I wanted. I bought the WRT600N a month after it was released and haven't had any problems with it yet.

I love having two seperate wireless networks in the home from one router: a Wireless-N only network on the 5GHz wide-40mhz channel and a mixed b,g,n newtork on the 2.4GHz standard channel. My Dell XPS M1330 connects great with its Intel 4965AGN card to the Wireless-N 5GHz network and I get incredible reception and network speed (which I need since all my data is on an HP MediaSmart WHS). I also have a Linksys DMA2200 Media Center Extender that connects to the Wireless-N 5GHz network. This allows me to stream HD content without lag to the living room on the other end of my house. The standard 2.4GHz wireless network handles my older devices including a couple Dell Axim X51v's.

If you go Wireless-N, I'd highly recommend the WRT600N or another dual-band router. The old Wireless-N routers like the WRT160N only operate on the 2.4GHz narrow-channel, which severly cripples Wireless-N's abilities. As far as compatibility is concerned, if you're buying N-products, make sure to read around on the net to see if others have used the products you are planning to use together (or buy products from the same company that are designed to work together). Once you get a Wireless-N network set up properly, there is no going back to the backwaters of Wireless-G.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_biggs View Post
As far as compatibility is concerned, if you're buying N-products, make sure to read around on the net to see if others have used the products you are planning to use together (or buy products from the same company that are designed to work together).
Ideally, yes, that's what I'd do - but I have so many devices coming in and out of my office every month that there's no way I can do that. Wireless specifications should be rock-solid enough to work with ANYTHING. And 802.11n just isn't there yet...