Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default VITO Releases Winterface: A Combo Shell, Launcher and Task Manager

http://iwindowsmobile.com/vito-mobile-shell.html

"Windows Mobile comprising the options of a launcher, a task manager, and a multitude of Today plug-ins. Winterface gives the user unprecedented freedom to easily lay out interface exactly the way they like it. As a shell Winterface removes the necessity to turn to default Windows Mobile interface: Today screen and Start menu. Winterface opens instantly whenever users draw a simple gesture on the screen. It allows users to have as many screens as they need and put on them icons for applications, settings and contacts. As a launcher Winterface features one tap launch of any installed applications and settings. As a task manager Winterface lets you easily switch between running applications. A fixed icon on the first screen lets users see running programs, switch between them or close them."

In a continuation of it's touch-interface programs, VITO has released Winterface, which combines a new shell, launcher and task manager.  Unlike the built-in shell, which sorts programs alphabetically under the Program Files folder, you can create your own pages and sort them however you like.  You can download a demo or purchase directly from Vito.  While the regular price is $19.95, they are offering SPB Mobile Shell owners a $5 competive discount for a few more days.  Additionally, Winterface will now replace GoodWin in iWindowsMobile Communication Suite v 1.05. How many of you have changed your interface to something like Winterface or SPB Mobile Shell?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
tnels!
Banned

Yet another user interface. It looks good, but why do I have to keep learning new user interfaces and different 'finger gestures?' I remember when Windows was first released long ago. It provided a standard way to interface with a computer; pull downs, dialog boxes, etc. all worked the same from the OS to the applications. What happened?? Today even M$ Office products all have different interfaces! Now the PPC has no standards?! This is total madness; anarchy in the digital world! What is this world coming to??

Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

I'm planning to test Winterface in the next days, it looks beautiful! But i'm an SBSH PocketBreeze user for so many years, I doubt Winterface will change that :-)

Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnels! View Post
Yet another user interface. It looks good, but why do I have to keep learning new user interfaces and different 'finger gestures?'
I think that because the Windows Mobile interface has grown quite stale, and isn't very finger-friendly, you have all these developers trying to come up new finger-based ways of interacting with their software. It's not a bad thing - evolution is a part of good software design.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM
gilbertovp
Pupil

I heard about something called "iPhone", it looks like everyone wants to be like that, I don't know why either...

By the way, Alex Kac wrote a very interesting article about development in Windows Mobile, and he talks about the lack of standard (or the way the hardware manufacturers are replacing the standard functions of Windows Mobile). http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...1&showentry=57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnels! View Post
Yet another user interface. It looks good, but why do I have to keep learning new user interfaces and different 'finger gestures?' I remember when Windows was first released long ago. It provided a standard way to interface with a computer; pull downs, dialog boxes, etc. all worked the same from the OS to the applications. What happened?? Today even M$ Office products all have different interfaces! Now the PPC has no standards?! This is total madness; anarchy in the digital world! What is this world coming to??

Old 07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I use SPB Mobile Shell, which since version 2 has been a very powerful interface, and I don't see this replacing it. SPB is the only interface replacement who remembered that while the WinMo interface could use an overhaul...the Today Screen is still incredibly useful.

Winterface might be good for people who don't use the PDA functions of their WinMo device but I can't imagine going without my schedule front & center.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
MattMojo
Pupil
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I use SPB Mobile Shell, which since version 2 has been a very powerful interface, and I don't see this replacing it. SPB is the only interface replacement who remembered that while the WinMo interface could use an overhaul...the Today Screen is still incredibly useful.

Winterface might be good for people who don't use the PDA functions of their WinMo device but I can't imagine going without my schedule front & center.

I too am a SPB Mobile Shell user and the the only interface that looks even remotely close to competing is the HTC Diamond's. I had a chance to check it out at this years tech-ed and it was nice.

Mojo

Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM
cab124
Intellectual

Does SPB Mobile Shell work on unconverged devices like the Dell Axim?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
blazingwolf
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab124 View Post
Does SPB Mobile Shell work on unconverged devices like the Dell Axim?
Yes it does. You just keep alot of things that you don't need, like the phone signal icon, on the now screen.

if you get in to making your own skins then you can remove all of that.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Rob Alexander
Sage

I have something of a hybrid on my HTC Touch. I use Mobile Shell 2.0, but I also use the regular Today screen with the HTC Home application and the Mobile Shell Today screen tabs in auto-hide mode. Neither one alone does everything I need, but between the two, I rarely need to bring up the Touchflo interface or use the regular Windows Mobile stuff. This new shell looks nice enough, but I don't see anything about it that looks compelling enough for me to consider switching.