Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Touch Diamond Approved, Extended

Despite PC Pro's slamming, the HTC Touch Diamond continues to move forward. First, there's good news for our US readers: the FCC has given the CDMA version two thumbs up, so now it's just a matter of the carriers announcing when and where you'll be able to hand over the dollar bills. In other news, those of you who already have the device may be interested in more juice, because, you know, that 900mAh battery included in the box isn't exactly anything to write home about. Our affiliate hardware store (Expansys) has a 1340mAh version (cover included) available for pre-order, so if you value uptime over girth, be sure to take a look.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Fritzly
Sage

It looks nice; by the picture it seems that the shaped cover and the battery are built together as a single piece which could explain the high price.
If the Diamond was a better phone I would have bought it right away, at -/+ $70 it costs 10% of what I paid the phone.
Unfortunately the phone performances have been a big delusion for me: until WM7 and related devices will be out I will use my new iPhone G3, officially SIM free, our office in Europe is shipping to me.

Last edited by Fritzly; 07-14-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
cab124
Intellectual

Waiting for the Touch Pro...

+ MicroSD slot
+ Physical keyboard
+ Bigger battery
+ Hopefully, kinks worked out.

Anyone care to speculate about whether or not the new crop of HTC devices will be upgradeable to WM 7?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab124 View Post
Waiting for the Touch Pro...

+ MicroSD slot
+ Physical keyboard
+ Bigger battery
+ Hopefully, kinks worked out.

Anyone care to speculate about whether or not the new crop of HTC devices will be upgradeable to WM 7?
Usually history reats itself:
I bet it will not; 25 to 1.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

Yadda yadda.

As an actual Diamond user (on ATT) for a month now, I have still not experienced the phone problems I read about. Obviously, I am using the European version here in the US and have no issues with the phone either here in the Puget Sound area of Washington State where I live or in New York City where I just spent the past week. The Diamond works as a phone just fine: good audio quality and plenty of bars, even in the middle of Manhatten. I will agree that there were some lag issues with the ROM version that was available in the early shipping models. A new official HTC ROM has fixed those.

As for the harsh criticism of the battery life: I would agree there seems to be a double standard about that topic when it comes to the iPhone, but I can't expect tech journalists to change their behavior. My actual experience is more important to me. I have always been in the habit of putting my phones on the charger at night, so having days of stand-by time is not important to me. Likewise, it has always been my habit to put my phones on the car charger on my commutes so Bluetooth drain is not an issue. On those days when I resist using the Diamond's Wifi and multimedia applications, battery life has not been an issue. Does that mean I don't want the protection offered by an spare battery or an extended battery? No. I will certainly purchase one or the other.
At least with the Diamond I have the option of swapping out the battery.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
joker
Banned

Look how your affiliate tries to rip off the users with such a ridiculous price of $77.95!!

I am disgusted.