Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bye Bye Standbye

http://www.ordertree.com/byebyestandby

"The Bye-Bye Standby® Energy Saving Starter Kit. This starter kit is a simple way to take control of your electrical devices, reducing your electric monthly bill, and energy consumption, and at the same time reduces harmful carbon emissions (C02). It is easy to install and use and is really convenient. With Bye-Bye Standby you can power down connected electrical devices in your home, office, or school, using the wireless remote control with the patent pending smart socket adapters, giving you peace of mind, saving you money and helping the environment by conserving energy."

If you ever take the time to measure it, you will be shocked by the amount of phantom power you are wasting between your home theater and computer equipment.  I've cut way back through using a Smart Power Strip (which I previously reviewed here) and appliance timers hooked to power strips.  While those methods have given me an automated and transparent way to reduce my usage, they stil have not completely cut my phantom draw.  At $24.99 for two outlets, this device apprears to allow you to eliminate nearly 100% of your phantom draw without having to physically unplug your devices every time you turn them off.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
BevHoward
Intellectual

Interesting... as a long time X10 junkie, the mobile control is appealing except for the fact that it's a paid subscription service. (this device does not use the X10 protocols)

If you are going to do something like this, remember that some devices are going to loose settings and data when the power from mains is removed... i.e. recorder clocks, projector settings, bookmarks, etc.

The "leech" label can be misleading... i.e. it's valid on some components, especially those devices which keep devices "hot" for instant on, somewhat valid for older transformer based "wall warts" but would be surprised if many modern components drew enough power to warrant concern after their "off" buttons were pressed.

Spent some time earlier this year with a "Kill a Watt" expecting high consumption on several convenience devices and was surprised to find that their electric costs were fully justified by the jobs they performed... going now to plug it into the av center ;-)

Just saw this... interesting timing

Now Taking Pre-Orders for INSTEON NetLinc � Central Controller

Last edited by BevHoward; 07-12-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 AM
David Horn
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to David Horn

We have these in the UK, although they're marketed as a convenience tool than one that saves power. They work well for things like Christmas tree lights, which stops you squeezing behind the tree to turn the lights off.

We also got a set for my grandmother, who uses it to turn lights on and off without having to use the switches on the lamps (she has arthritis and finds it difficult). Would recommend, although there's a similar version which is more powerful, with a separate button on the remote that turns everything off and on.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I've got one on the way, so look for a review in the semi-near future.