Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Confirmed: Rogers Canada Offering 6 GB Monthly Data Plans for $30/month for Windows Mobile Smartphones, Until August 31st

Some good news for our Canadian readers: I just got off the phone with Rogers Canada, and according to the woman I spoke with, the 6 GB of monthly data for $30/month is an open offer to all 3G smartphones, including Windows Mobile phones. There are some caveats on this, the biggest being it has to be a new three-year activation, or involve a hardware upgrade. The reality is that Rogers wan't to either acquire you as a new customer, or get you to drop a few hundred dollars in hardware, in order to qualify for this offer - but even with that, this still seems like a staggeringly good deal. So good, in fact, I'm not sure I'm going to believe it until I've switched from Fido and see my first bill. Any of my fellow Canadians going to jump on this offer? It apparently ends August 31st (though that may just be marketing hype).

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Hooray for Jason! Thanks for finding this out! I do have on question though. After the "hardware upgrade" do you think they'd mind if I ended up using my own phone? I already have a 3g phone that I'm comfortable with. If I do a hardware upgrade then swap the sim card, (the old phone probably being a handy backup) do you think that'd nullify the data plan?

6GB for $30 is reasonable enough for me to go with data again. Many thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyresyght View Post
After the "hardware upgrade" do you think they'd mind if I ended up using my own phone?
No clue at all, sorry. You'd have to talk to someone from Rogers for a question that specific.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan

Many thanks regardless. I'll probably give them a call in a few days as I suspect that they're just a wee bit busy today.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyresyght View Post
Many thanks regardless. I'll probably give them a call in a few days as I suspect that they're just a wee bit busy today.
Yes, they're quite busy today - when I called I got someone who didn't know very much about data plans, but was able to finally confirm it for me.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I'd bet that if you called in, you could get the plan - no new anything required. I've spent too much time on the phone with Rogers lately, though, so I'll wait a few weeks before I try this one.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Oh well, had to be a catch. My O2 Atom is happy enough for now, running WM6. It's not 3G compatible so guess I'll have to see if this offer is still around by the time I get seriously interested in shopping for a new phone. Still, if this pans out I have to admit Rogers finally got a bit of common sense smacked into their wee little corporate brain. Seems unlikely they were getting a lot of data subscribers, based on their previous rates.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus View Post
I'd bet that if you called in, you could get the plan - no new anything required.
Yeah? Well, I'll certainly give it a try.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Oh well, had to be a catch. My O2 Atom is happy enough for now, running WM6.
As someone who missed the opportunity to get a $50 unlimited EDGE data plan a few years ago and greatly regretted it, I'll only say that you never know how stupid companies like Rogers and Fido are going to be when it comes to this kind of thing, so don't let an opportunity pass you by.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:44 AM
jerboa
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus View Post
I'd bet that if you called in, you could get the plan - no new anything required. I've spent too much time on the phone with Rogers lately, though, so I'll wait a few weeks before I try this one.
My three-year Rogers servitude contract ends in August - I wonder if I can negotiate to have this added to my account (without any hardware or new contract) to remain 'a faithful Rogers customer'.

We'll see...