Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft to Acquire Mobile-Data Company

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9978036-36.html

"Microsoft announced Thursday it has made plans to acquire MobiComp, a mobile-data company founded in 2000. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed... The acquisition will be used to bolster a number of services on the Windows Mobile smartphone platform as well as the Windows Live Web services division. MobiComp has developed an array of products: MobileKeeper Backup & Restore, MobileKeeper Sharing & Communities, and Active mTicker. They're used by companies to back up data stored on mobile phones, submit content from mobile phones to social networks like Facebook, and access news and other mobile media."

It is interesting to see Microsoft suddenly paying more attention than usual to the mobile services market. With their recent purchasing of Sidekick maker Danger and now MobiComp it looks as though Microsoft has plans up their proverbial sleeve to start rolling out more integrated mobile services to their Windows Mobile and Windows Live product lines. Hopefully we will find out more of what Microsoft has planned as the month slowly start ticking down to the release of Windows Mobile 7.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
stevew
Theorist

I'd like to see them do some innovating of their own instead of just buying up technology that's already out there.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'd like to see them do some innovating of their own instead of just buying up technology that's already out there.
but microsoft is incredible at taking some idea that someone else had and making better. sure i would like to see something new and innovating but every time they try something new it starts out with a bang and then fizzles into nothing. i feel microsoft should be studying up on keeping the hype machine rolling, then focus on the innovating stuff