Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Is The iPhone a Portable Computer?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,281...,2320072,00.asp

"Calling the iPhone just a cell phone would be a mistake. Over the past 11 months, it has morphed into a handheld computer. With its new 3G connections and the promise of an abundance of PC-like applications, the iPhone appears to be on track to become a personal portable computing platform in its own right. When the new iPhone was launched this week, most of the folks covering it focused on the 3G radio and the low price. To be fair, some of the media did talk about the software, but I can't emphasize enough the fact that it is the software, coupled with a PC-class OS and Web browser, that will help make the iPhone the most portable computer on the market today—or even tomorrow."

Three months ago I took only my iPhone with me to Little Rock. I thought about bringing my laptop but didn't want to lug it around. Turns out that the iPhone is all I needed. I could check my emails, surf the web, take notes, keep up with my calendar and contacts, watch movies, listen to music, and take a few notes. I was not able to create any word processing documents or spreadsheets though I could view them. That may change when the iPhone app store is ready. Office suites, Bibles, task managers, and electronic wallets should become available. Once MobileMe is kicks in, everything will sync automatically. What do you think? Do you agree with Tim Bajarin from PCMag that the iPhone become the most potable computer on the market today? Is there another handheld device (Tilt, Touch Diamond, Experia, Bold, E71) you think does or will do an even better job or do you grimace at the thought of a pocket mobile device being called a portable computer? Let us know what you think.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Slow news day?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

Calling an iPhone or even a Pocket PC a portable computer is cringe worthy indeed. Tim Bajarin calling an iPhone a Pocket PC did make me smile though. I think I'll quote this article the next time someone says how innovative the iPhone is. My God, I'll say, did you know that the iPhone is a Pocket PC? It's true! PC Magazine says so. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are finally working together. Who'd a thunk it.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
adamz
Thinker

Shouldn't this be on iPhoneThoughts.com?

After seeing the Touch Diamond's new Remote Desktop client, I think the superiority of the Windows Mobile platform for mobile computing is pretty clear.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
stevew
Theorist

With the iPhone now sporting 3G, GPS, MS Exchange, and new apps from the app store which will sure fill in all the gaps, this is everything a windows mobile phone has tried to be for years.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:44 PM
surur
Mystic

I agree with Adamz. This does not deserve to be on PPCThoughts.

The iPhone does not come close to being a portable computer. It cant handle peripherals like a keyboard or mouse, you have no access to the file system (to store word documents for example), the device is locked down like no other.

How about asking if the HTC Advantage is a portable computer. That makes much more sense. USB hosting so you can use a keyboard, mouse,or even external hard drive. Full web browser courtesy of Opera Mobile 9.5. Huge VGA screen. 16 GB of storage that you can use for anything you want.

In short, this story is pathetic. You may as well ask if a Razr is a portable computer. At least you can take videos with a Razr.

Surur

Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Jeff_R
Ponderer

If you mean it in the loosest definition, as in a portable device that can do computation, then yes, but obviously that is so vague as to be useless.

With a more strict definition, like every other question of this sort, it depends on usage; for some, it is more computer than they need. For others, it is inadequate. If you consume content, it's probably fine; if you create content, it's probably not. For me, I have this wacky thing I like to do called "copy/paste" so for me, the iPhone falls far short.

My HP2133; THAT'S a portable computer.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
alese
Philosopher

Of course it's a pocket computer, all smartphones and PDAs are, they have CPUs, RAM, Storage, OS, installable SW...

Can iPhone replace Notebook - only if your requirements are really really small (low) and if you are willing to compromise a lot.

Is it better than PocketPCs and WM devices as Computer/Notebook replacement - NO, it can compare in some areas, it's better in some and it lacks in some.
Not just because it doesn't have SW yet, but simply because it's still too limited compared to WM and older PPCs to really fill that role - pretty interface is not enough in this case, you need SW that can handle more than just WEB and Mail, like Office creation, maybe access to file system... and you need HW capable of delivering somewhat decent experience like external keyboard and mouse, VGA output, USB host, expandability, maybe higher resolution - it's a pain to create office files on VGA device HVGA or QVGA it's just much worse.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:00 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
With the iPhone now sporting 3G, GPS, MS Exchange, and new apps from the app store which will sure fill in all the gaps, this is everything a windows mobile phone has tried to be for years.
You mean "everything a WM phone has been for years?"
Apple should try harder to get to that point. iPhone is pretty much entertainment device, you can watch, listen, but can't create. WM phone is both. There are plenty of 3rd party apps to satisfy any of your entertainment needs, browsers, media players, games, etc... On top of that you CAN cut and paste, edit Office document, draw or "ink" and these are just a few basic functions that Touch screen smartphone can and IMHO must do. And not only WM, Symbian can, Palm could (I am not sure about latest version). iPhone missing it. Let's hope for iPhone 3!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I guess my frustration is this. I used to read articles relating Windows Mobile devices to portable computers. I do think handheld devices are similar to portable computers, watered down of course but still similar. You can surf the web, view pics, movies, email, type docs, keep up with your personal management. Is it a full fledged computer? No, but it is a portable computer that can fit in your hands and perform many of the functions of a full fledged computer. I have owned 8 different MS Mobile devices and none of them gave me that "wow" feeling the way the iPhone has. I also have a Tmobile Dash but I seldom use it anymore. Why? Three reasons. 1. Simplicity - the iPhone is simply a much more user friendly device and very graphical. 2. Stability - my iPhone has never locked up on me where the Dash usually locks up a couple times per week. 3. The experience - 90% of what I do daily on my Dash I can do on my iPhone. Surfing the web, typing emails, viewing pics, watching movies, even keeping up with my schedule is just a better experience than on my Dash. When I use the iPhone, I feel like I'm using a portable computer more than any Windows Mobile device I've ever had. Microsoft frustrates me. They have so much money and so much talent and yet over the last 5 years they have been anything but innovative and very incremental. They just seem so complacent. I actually wish they'd get rid of their registry all together and start over. Vista is a joke and their mobile OS just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I have some hope for the Experia but I'm not holding my breath.