Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default What a Nice Surprise: The HTC Touch Diamond

That's what the courier delivered to me today...and I've managed to restrain myself from opening it because I didn't have time to do an unboxing/first impressions video. Look for one tomorrow - even though I have a bad cold and will probably sound completely ridiculous on camera...but for you guys, I'll do it! ;-) HTC is sending a Touch Diamond to all Mobius attendees, so you'll be seeing lots of news/reviews popping up over the next week.

UPDATE: Well, I woke up today feeling about 500% worse than last night, so the Diamond unboxing will have to wait for a few days.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Jorlin
Ponderer

Sweet

and my I add.... lucky bastard :P

Looking forward to the review... although... I am waiting for the PRO

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Yawn... Do you plan on getting SE Experia? I would be very interested!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:53 PM
mhynek
Ponderer

I think the back of this phone looks rather obnoxious. While I can appreciate the effect they were going for, it is just too busy for me. This is a petty observation and has no relevance to the OS, GUI, or user experience, but none the less....tacky. imho

Old 06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

Jason, as you use the Diamond, please let us know about any reception and or connection issues caused by that missing 850 band.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM
keirmeister
Pupil

I got to "touch" this phone at a local store yesterday, and it made me *MOIST*.

I didn't realize how small it was (especially compared to my TyTN or an iPhone). I originally thought the back was ugly, but in person, it's subtle and actually a little sexy. I hated putting it down.

I'm pretty sure this will be replacing my TyTN...when they release the US version in a couple of months.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

I have seen some reviews that indicate the device is slow and the 528 MSM CPU has trouble keeping up with the TouchFlo. I also saw a Youtube video where they show this phone being very slow in changing orientation from portrait to landscape. Would be interesting to get some test results, especially for the video performance. Personally, I would expect this to be another under performing HTC device only this time with VGA screen. I will bet Experia (despite the fact that HTC builds it) will be a much better designed and implemented phone.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain View Post
Do you plan on getting SE Experia? I would be very interested!
I'm hoping to get my hands on one, yes, but I don't have as good of a relationship with Sony Ericsson as I do with HTC, so I can't say for sure if I'll get hands-on time with it.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
Jason, as you use the Diamond, please let us know about any reception and or connection issues caused by that missing 850 band.
Noted. I've used European-band phones before and haven't run into any serious issues, but I've also never done band "torture tests" by going to places where I know reception is spotty.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaAddict View Post
I have seen some reviews that indicate the device is slow and the 528 MSM CPU has trouble keeping up with the TouchFlo.
Yeah, I got some hands-on time with the Diamond at the Mobius event and it seemed to be a bit sluggish and non-responsive at times. What I'm not sure about though is if that was still a beta ROM or if it was final. It's not fair to judge the performance of a device until that device has finalized software on it and really matches up with what will be shipping.

I'll definitely be shooting videos of it to dive deep into the performance factors.