Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Glofiish M810 Unboxing

Unboxings: love 'em or hate 'em, we've got one of the HSDPA-capable Glofiish M810. This device looks a lot better in the flesh than in renderings, and heck, I don't even think these shots do it justice. But jump the break for a look, anyway. Alas, if you're a VGA or WVGA zealot, you probably won't find happiness here.

Stay tuned for a review!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
bigneeker
Pupil

can you do some comparison pics please? i would like to see how it compares in size to the kaiser.

also is the 64mb of ram a problem?

thanks

Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigneeker View Post
can you do some comparison pics please? i would like to see how it compares in size to the kaiser.
Sorry, I don't have a Kaiser available. I'd be happy to take shots of the M810 next to other Glofiish devices, the JASJAR, Axim X50v, 30GB Zune, or iPod touch - whatever tickles your fancy. Just let me know.

Quote:
also is the 64mb of ram a problem?
I'm not finding it to be a problem at the moment. When idle, it has around 33MB free. With ten standard Windows Mobile apps open, it drops down to 30MB. I haven't tested it with any third-party apps yet, but based on past experience, I'm not expecting that figure to drop by much.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM
bigneeker
Pupil

a jasjar and an eten m800 and maybe something else thats common to see the size.

as for the 64mb, it was a problem when i had the m800. maybe its different because that was a vga device and the m810 is a qvga device. my m800 would crash all the time because it would run out of memory after a few hours of being on.

thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
a jasjar and an eten m800 and maybe something else thats common to see the size.
I don't have an M800, but I do have an M700 (similar-sized QWERTY device). I'll take the shots and post them here soon.

Quote:
as for the 64mb, it was a problem when i had the m800. maybe its different because that was a vga device and the m810 is a qvga device. my m800 would crash all the time because it would run out of memory after a few hours of being on.
VGA certainly makes a difference. I can understand what you're saying - I tried an X800 for a while (VGA, 3G, non-QWERTY) and that too would run out of RAM every now and again, although it was far better without E-TEN's applications installed. I've never had problems with a QVGA device.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Darius Wey

Here you go. Apologies for the lighting in the second shot - the bulb in my desk lamp blew at the most inconvenient moment and I had no spares lying around. I guess I ought to head to the hardware store this evening.

They're in no particular order. Height-wise, the M810 is the smallest of the pack.

It may be a little difficult distinguishing the differences here, but the X800 is slightly thinner than the M810, which you'd expect since the former has no QWERTY keyboard. The M810 is a lot thinner than the M700 and the JASJAR. Also, just a note: the M810 is resting on the X800's joystick, so it misleadingly appears to bulge at the bottom.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 PM
bigneeker
Pupil

thanks for the great pics

that eten m810 is looking more and more tempting. its really small for a qwerty slider.

where and when can i purchase one?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
that eten m810 is looking more and more tempting. its really small for a qwerty slider.
Yeah, I was quite surprised by its size when I took it out of the box.

Quote:
where and when can i purchase one?
You can order one from our affiliate software store (Expansys). I'd imagine it would only take a few days to get one in.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 PM
TheDuck
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
Sorry, I don't have a Kaiser available. I'd be happy to take shots of the M810 next to other Glofiish devices, the JASJAR, Axim X50v, 30GB Zune, or iPod touch - whatever tickles your fancy. Just let me know.
How does it compare in size (and performance!) with the Axim X50v? I can't believe that after four or so years the smartphones are *just* beginning to look as sleek as my aging X50v, and I don't think a single one matches the 624mhz chip (plus, the X50v has a dedicated graphics chip for the glorious touchscreen VGA screen!)

I'd love to get a more "modern" device, but I'm still waiting for everyone to catch up to the X50v - I'd rather keep carrying a separate phone than fall back 10 years in the PPC side of a smartphone!

Be seeing you,
The Duck