Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default HTC Releases TyTN II Windows Mobile 6.1 Update

http://www.htc.com

Alert reader Kev brought this to our attention tonight. The Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM upgrade for the HTC TyTN II has been released and is available to HTC e-club members via htc.com (So if you didn't create an e-club membership when you bought your TyTN II, now would be a good time to do so). I'm downloading this as I type this post up from the HTC Europe FTP site (Looks like it's not on the HTC America FTP site just yet). 66.2 MB but fairly fast download speeds means you should be able to have this on your phone fairly soon - I know I will! Those who upgrade, let us know how your experience is!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
brunoman
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to brunoman Send a message via MSN to brunoman

And then they only give access to a danish ROM for danish devices..... damn i wanted the english OS, so I'll stay on the BETA for now

Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Fritzly
Sage

And nothing for the Touch Dual! I am so sick and tired of the way HTC and MS are treating their customers that these few weeks of wait before I can grab a 3G iPhone seem to last forever.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:09 PM
pjerry220
Ponderer
Smile HTC TYTN II Upgrade Fine

The upgrade went fine for me. We'll see how the reliability goes.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:17 PM
jalex
Ponderer
Question Cost / Benefit Analysis?

Reading thru the PDF included in the ZIP file was quite an underwhelming experience for me. I've already got all my stuff set up thanks, I already have a bluetooth headset (although I do seem to buy a new one every year) and won't benefit from any of the other new/improved features bar one: zoom level in PIE.

Is it worth the trouble upgrading for that?

I will be watching this thread in earnest, looking for good news about increased reliability/robustness/performance and other new features not mentioned in the PDF.

Until then, I'll be hanging tight.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex View Post
Reading thru the PDF included in the ZIP file was quite an underwhelming experience for me. I've already got all my stuff set up thanks, I already have a bluetooth headset (although I do seem to buy a new one every year) and won't benefit from any of the other new/improved features bar one: zoom level in PIE.

Is it worth the trouble upgrading for that?

I will be watching this thread in earnest, looking for good news about increased reliability/robustness/performance and other new features not mentioned in the PDF.

Until then, I'll be hanging tight.
I am kinda in the same boat. It will take me weeks to get my device back to a usable state... The new IE and threaded text message are no incentive for me to upgrade. However the improved video performance would is. I just don't know if it is worth all the trouble of completely redoing my device..

I have a week of vacation coming up next month.. maybe then.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:03 PM
dlindman
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
I am kinda in the same boat. It will take me weeks to get my device back to a usable state... The new IE and threaded text message are no incentive for me to upgrade. However the improved video performance would is. I just don't know if it is worth all the trouble of completely redoing my device..

I have a week of vacation coming up next month.. maybe then.
I did the deed and for awhile was regretting it....WA3 (most current version) seemed to flake out something that caused a corruption in the cntpnl.exe. I ended up re-installing (hard resetting) everything twice...and before reinstalling WA3, I did a full backup just in case. I had to revert to a previous version of WA3, but it seems to be working OK having done that.

That being said, I'm seeing a performance improvement overall (the device seems more peppy) but that could be doing a clean install of my programs. I will say that it appears the rom takes up a bigger chunk of memory as I used to hang at about 50 meg free program and 50 meg free storage, and now I'm down at 40 and 40 (anyone else confirm this ??) without any additional programs in main memory. As for video performance .... the jury is still out, I'm just not noticing anything that makes me go wow!

Overall, right now I'm underwhelmed given the work I had to put into it.

Good luck to all those who give this a try too....

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

on the fence about updating as well. I tried out the beta ROMs and had some compatibility issues with some apps I frequently used so I am waiting for advise from the app developers before updating.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
firsttiger
Neophyte

I must be blind because I don't seem to see it when I go to HTC e-Club. All I seem to be able to see is the ROM download from Feb 21, 2008 and the posted ROM seems to be 1.06.405.1 WWE. Is this right? I'm trying to access the site from Canada. If not, can someone help point out to me what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks so much. I like the threaded SMS but the ROM I'm using seems to be quite unstable.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I assume the files are all the same? I was given the choice to download from HTC USA, HTC Europe or HTC Asia. HTC USA gives a 404, so I downloaded from Europe. The file name is the same - RUU_Kaiser_HTC_WWE_3.28.405.0_radio_sign_25.83.40.02_1.65.16.25_Ship and the download was for WWE - World Wide English. Is it just a glitch on their side for the USA site or was it pulled for some reason?