Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Office 2008 for Mac SP1 Delivers .PPTX Compatibility with Windows Mobile

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...acBU2008PR.mspx

"The Mac BU today is releasing Service Pack 1 (SP1) that provides increased stability, security and performance enhancements to the suite. The group also is providing a glimpse at the road map of Office for Mac by announcing the return of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in the next version."

Microsoft's release of Service Pack 1 for Office 2008 for Mac offers a number of enhancements including Mac .PPTX compatibility with Windows Mobile devices. So, if you're one of the few Mac users carrying a Windows Mobile device, hit the Mactopia Downloads page now or wait for Microsoft AutoUpdate to do its thing to enjoy what SP1 has to offer. The standalone installer weighs in at 180MB.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

This is great stuff - Office for the Mac 2008 is quite nice, to the point where I haven't touched iWork since getting it! And a wonderful update.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey View Post
Microsoft's release of Service Pack 1 for Office 2008 for Mac offers a number of enhancements including Mac .PPTX compatibility with Windows Mobile devices.
My understanding is the office 2007 file formats (docx, pptx, xlsx) were the same as that for Office 2008 for the Mac, so why would there need to be an update for Windows Mobile devices?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
My understanding is the office 2007 file formats (docx, pptx, xlsx) were the same as that for Office 2008 for the Mac, so why would there need to be an update for Windows Mobile devices?
The file formats are supposed to be the same, but Office 2008's OpenXML support had a few rough edges. When it was first released, there were reports of some content in OpenXML files not displaying correctly. I experienced this myself with a few DOCX files. In addition, PowerPoint Mobile couldn't open PPTX files created in PowerPoint 2008.

SP1 is supposed to fix a lot of these issues.