Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Diamond In The Rough: Details Emerging

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008...cs-new-devices/

"The new handsets will be called the HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, and the HTC Touch Dual Pro. The Touch Diamond is the Diamond, the Touch Pro is the Raphael, and the Touch Dual Pro is apparently a refresh of the existing HTC Touch Dual."

Things are clearing up a bit about HTC's new Raphael and Diamond devices. They'll have WM6.1 (natch), 520MHz Qualcomm processors, 7.2MBit HSPA, FM Radio, 128MB RAM, 256MB ROM, 3.1MP cameras, WiFi, BT2.0+EDR, eGPS, and 2.8" VGA screens. In addition the Raphael will have TV out and the Diamond 4GB flash storage. Just remember, as far as we know both will be CDMA only - so far.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
Just remember, as far as we know both will be CDMA only - so far.
Assuming that the 6 May event will be to launch these new handsets, and bearing in mind the event is in London, the odds of those devices being CDMA only would be slim to none.

Added to which, even if the 6 May event has nothing to do with them, I'd still think it improbable that they would be CDMA only. The market for Windows Mobile smartphones in the GSM only EMEA is still considerably bigger and more dominant than the CDMA market. I'd put good money on a dual launch of GSM and CDMA versions - hit the two biggest markets (outside of Asia-Pacific) at once.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 AM
nosmohtac
Sage

I can't wait for the Diamond. I hope they come to Sprint first!!

If they are CDMA only though, why are they HSPA?

From the statements by HTC execs, I would expect a worldwide release of both GSM and CDMA variants.

It won't hurt my feelings a bit if the first ones to be released are CDMA. It's about time we received some VGA love in the CDMA world. Especially considering I bought my Toshiba e805 (VGA) back in 2003.

Whoever ends up being the lucky carrier to get their hands on these first, will have no problem unloading them with those specs.

I might yet own another HTC device. Let's hope these have hardware acceleration though

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmohtac View Post
I can't wait for the Diamond. I hope they come to Sprint first!!

If they are CDMA only though, why are they HSPA?
Yes, this confused me too. HSPA but CDMA only?

A while ago this would have excited me, but I have given up on CDMA. I plan on leaving sprint and getting a tilt until the xperia x1 comes out, then getting my dream phone, the x1. This is too little too late.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
palur
Intellectual

I am not sure if the specs fascinate me. The screen size is still 2.8". I would love to see slightly larger screens. Eten already has similar specs as Diamond and what way this is superior (may be touchflow!). Iphone killer should at least have larger screen. It is my personal opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by palur View Post
I am not sure if the specs fascinate me. The screen size is still 2.8". I would love to see slightly larger screens. Eten already has similar specs as Diamond and what way this is superior (may be touchflow!). Iphone killer should at least have larger screen. It is my personal opinion.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!
You would think that the outrageous sucess of the iPhone would have prompted AT LEAST one 3.5" display on an HTC device, I guess these num nuts don't get it.

I have been hacking my HTC Universal, but the hardware is becoming increasingly out dated. So I have moved on to my extremely buggy XDA Flame, while keeping my Universal, and my XDA IIs as spare 3.5" display devices.

Again: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Marty1781
Pupil

Quote:
I haven't checked in a while so I could be wrong but I was under the impression the Eten devices similar to the Diamond/Raphael only have 64MB RAM, which Mogul/6800 owners know all too well is barely enough to run WM6 and essentially cripples the device. Also, while these new HTC devices may not have a physically larger screen, they are higher resolution than the iPhone (480x320 vs 640x480). People always talk about how big and beautiful the iPhone's screen is but personally I think Apple is really getting a free pass here because to have a 3.5" screen and only make it 480x320 I think is unexcusable. If HTC did that, they'd never hear the end of it. The 2.8" VGA screen, TV out, faster processor, WM6.1, and proper amount of RAM I think makes the Raphael a nice update to HTC's current lineup

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Agreed, the iPhone has set the bar, yet we still don't have a single Windows Mobile device that approaches the iPhone's specs. It's almost like HTC is trying NOT to compete with the iPhone. Sure the VGA is nice, but on a 2.8" screen you lose most of the advantage provided, not even considering that most of the OS simply pixel doubles anyway.

Also, we are graced with a whole whopping 4 GB of RAM in the Diamond. Last I checked, the iPhone has 16 GB built in. Even if I add the largest MicroSD available, I still only get 12 GB of storage with one of these devices.

I like the choice they are giving here, though - no keyboard, vertical slider w/numeric keyboard or horizontal slider with qwerty. Just think if they took these devices and stretched that screen to 3.5" along with 16 or even 32 GB of RAM! Throw in the new Opera Mobile, which while still buggy and slow, does a fantastic job of rendering, BTW... and you have officially ended my (and probably several others) iPhone lust!

Common HTC, Acer, Dell, Sony, HP, Samsung etc, quit holding back on us and just give us what we want!!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
Agreed, the iPhone has set the bar, ...
I may agree that iPhone gave new form factor to mobile devices, but to demand from respectable WM maker to make an iPhone clone running WM is kind of silly. BTW there is a Meizu, if you want a clone. What HTC is trying to do here, is to create competitive device, but yet, remain unique. As far as for memory size, with iPhone you get ONLY what it has on board 8G or 16G with these new HTC it's unlimited, as you can switch memory cards as it suites you.
Although, I don't see myself buying one of these new HTC PPC, unless they smart up and become more standard with the market, s.a. STANDARD mini USB, STANDARD headphone jack, etc... I mean, even SE smart up with Experia to make it more standardized with the rest of the market, and yes, of course, slightly bigger screen would be welcome.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default 3.5": Sweet Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
Also, while these new HTC devices may not have a physically larger screen, they are higher resolution than the iPhone (480x320 vs 640x480). People always talk about how big and beautiful the iPhone's screen is but personally I think Apple is really getting a free pass here because to have a 3.5" screen and only make it 480x320 I think is unexcusable. If HTC did that, they'd never hear the end of it. The 2.8" VGA screen, TV out, faster processor, WM6.1, and proper amount of RAM I think makes the Raphael a nice update to HTC's current lineup
I disagree with the part about the physically larger screen part of your post,
What is the point of having higher resolution on a smaller screen, it makes no sense, they might as well have stuck with the QVGA resolution if it's going to be on a 2.8" screen.

Have you ever really used a 3.5" VGA display device? Once you do you can never go back. I DO agree that the iPhone could have done better with the resolution but the graphics on the device seem unaffected by the lack of resolution, so maybe they his a sweet spot (And no I'm not an iPhone fanboy, I"m actually a WM enthusiast and think the iPhone is a WM knock-off with improvements, but I guess every device has inherent characteristics from a previous one.)

My Point is:
Most people are partial to larger screens, just ask them. And HTC is no stranger to that, my first device was a PPC 6600, every major US carrier at the time, and it had a 3.5 inch screen and the battery life was the best I've experienced.

So for HTC to manufacture a device which such specs would not be an iPhone clone, it would be more like them going back to the basics which proved to be successful.