Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Software

Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Tim Williamson
Editor Emeritus
Default Google Calendar Sync Updated

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/...nc-updated.html

"Thanks for all the feedback you have sent us about Google Calendar Sync. We're rolling out an update that should make it a lot more useful. Previously, your Google Calendar email address needed to be the organizer or an attendee of your Microsoft Outlook events for the Outlook events to sync to your Google Calendar. Now, when you choose to do a 2-way sync or a 1-way sync from Outlook calendar to Google Calendar, all of your Outlook events will be synced to your Google Calendar. If you haven't been auto-updated to Google Calendar Sync 0.9.3.2 and you don't want to wait for the update, you can download it here."

Google is pushing out an update to correct some bugs in their Calendar Sync. I've been too chicken to try it out yet, I'll let the suckers...err...early adopters iron out any bugs first (hehe!). My main concern is how well recurring appointments sync up between Outlook and Google Calendar. For those of you who've used Calendar Sync, do you have any good or bad feedback to share? Has anyone had their calendar wiped out or other horror stories? Or has it been smooth sailing?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:45 AM
altden
Pupil
Thumbs down It works....kinda.

I tried pushing all of my Outlook events to google (1 way sync).
It synced some of my events and not others. I could not figure out the deciding factor.

I was hopping to give a link to google cal to my friends so that they know when i'm free and when i'm not, but if it only syncs some events that's worse than useless.

Meh.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Tim Williamson
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by altden View Post
I tried pushing all of my Outlook events to google (1 way sync).
It synced some of my events and not others. I could not figure out the deciding factor.
Wow, that sucks, and with 1 way only. Hmm, were you using their latest version?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
altden
Pupil

It supports two-way sync, but I have no need for it yet. Ijust wanted to make my outlook free/buzy avaiaible to the world.

I just installed it from the link in this article, so yeah, it's up to date all right. It also hogs my CPU when it syncs takes about 5-10 minutes for my 500 events).

Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 AM
marz2k
Neophyte
Default worked so far

Been using the Google calendar sync since it first came out, currently synching outlook on my home PC using that tool, and then my outlook with ActiveSync for my PDA (PPC6800 with WM6) At one point is seemed that some birthdays that I had set at whole day event were not synching properly but I changed them to happen from 8-9 AM in stead and it seemed to have fixed the issue.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 AM
mrozema
Intellectual

I've tried Google calender sync for over a month and I can't stand the fact that it won't sync all my calenders that I subscribe to from Google. They also need to assign categories based on calender name when its imported into Outlook.

So for now, I'm done with Google calender sync.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
J4yDubs
Pupil

I'm using it on a home PC for my wife's Google Calendar. 2-way sync to Outlook 2003. Seems to work fine, but it's certainly not being stressed much.

I tried to use it on my work PC (1-way, download), but since you can't target a calendar, I couldn't use it. I don't mix my wife's personal events with my work events. I create a new Calendar for them and just sync that calendar. I'm currently using Remote Calendars (http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars) to do it. I little rough interface wise, but it does the job.

John

Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post
I'm currently using Remote Calendars (http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars) to do it. I little rough interface wise, but it does the job.
This will sync multiple Google calenders with Outlook?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
wardseward
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to wardseward Send a message via Yahoo to wardseward

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post
I'm using it on a home PC for my wife's Google Calendar. 2-way sync to Outlook 2003. Seems to work fine, but it's certainly not being stressed much.

I tried to use it on my work PC (1-way, download), but since you can't target a calendar, I couldn't use it. I don't mix my wife's personal events with my work events. I create a new Calendar for them and just sync that calendar. I'm currently using Remote Calendars (http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotecalendars) to do it. I little rough interface wise, but it does the job.

John
John, You can always try out what I do. I sent up a secondary gmail/google account and sync my work calendar to that. Then I just subscribe to my 2nd account in me primary google calendar so it shows up. It's a few extra steps, but it gets around the one calendar limitation and keeps me from mixing all my calendar events up into one glob.

Ward

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
J4yDubs
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrozema View Post
This will sync multiple Google calenders with Outlook?
Yes, but I don't use that functionality so I don't know how well it works. I use it to sync my wife's google calendar to a calendar in my work Outlook (Exchange) called Robin's Calendar (not my primary work calendar). This way I can see and browse her schedule without having to open a browser and the events won't be included in my calendar in outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardseward View Post
John, You can always try out what I do. I sent up a secondary gmail/google account and sync my work calendar to that. Then I just subscribe to my 2nd account in me primary google calendar so it shows up. It's a few extra steps, but it gets around the one calendar limitation and keeps me from mixing all my calendar events up into one glob.
Sounds interesting. I don't use GoogleCalendar though, so I think we may be talking about different things. I use an Exchange account for my scheduling. I wanted to have access to my wife's GC, but didn't want the events in my Exchange calendar. GoogleSync won't let you tell it what outlook calendar to sync to.

John