Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default WM6.1 Satellite Phone Reference Design Unveiled

http://www.gearlog.com/2008/04/new_..._runs_windo.php

"The dreamers, they have their dreams. One of the big dreams for 2009-10, it seems, is new, hybrid satellite/cellular phones that work everywhere, but don't look like Cro-Magnon rock-hewing tools. MSV's Lost-style handset is supposedly coming in 2010, but it may be beaten to market by Elektrobit's sleek Windows Mobile satellite phone, which is supposedly arriving in 2009 and looks like a Motorola Q. The most striking feature of the Elektrobit device is its antenna: it doesn't seem to have one. This is a slim, light (4.7 x 2.5 x .8" HWD) phone...Or that's the plan, at least: this is a reference design, and the satellites aren't up in the air yet."

Well, color me impressed. This is the first satellite phone I've seen that's not ugly. It's about time that satphones catch up to the miniaturization of the rest of the industry. Well, in theory at least -- until this network is launched. I would assume that battery life would suffer in satellite mode, but it's a start.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
ianl
Pupil
Default WM6.1 Satellite Phone

To those of use who have the temerity to work and live outside cities (I know, how dare we ?), a useable, small-form satellite phone has been a dream for lo! these many,many years.

So why cannot this phone/PDA use one or more of the existing satellite groups that are currently in Low Earth Orbit ? Critical question, since waiting for the Europeans/Chinese/British/US or whoever to put another 12 into orbit is like waiting for Godot !

Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I think the problem is in the $$$$$. It is expansive thing, satellite communication, to put into orbit and manage satellites is not that cheap. and unlike GPS. US Department of Defense doesn't feel like picking up a tab. So, until the technology will become more affordable, we can only enjoy pics of those devices. Unless of course you really need it.