Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Unboxing & First Impressions of the hp tx2051 Tablet PC [Part 2]

Here's my unboxing and first impressions of the hp tx2051 Tablet PC (part two of two). This video features some sarcastic text overlay comments as I correct myself on the errors I noticed after I finished shooting. ;-)

If you have a YouTube account, please rate, comment, and subscribe to our channel. Thanks for your support! Looking for part one? You can find it here.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM
djdj
Intellectual

I almost bought one of these, until I discovered that it doesn't have a FireWire port. So I ended up getting a Toshiba M700 instead, and I'm glad I did. I like the Tosh so much more... much faster processor, and only a few dollars more than the HP.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
I almost bought one of these, until I discovered that it doesn't have a FireWire port.
Good point - the fact that it was missing Firewire didn't really register with me when I was going over the unit. I take it you wanted it for connecting your video camera? It's interesting how Firewire is pretty much dead - video cameras are moving toward Flash memory and USB 2.0 for transfers, so Firewire is going the way of the serial port...but I still need it on any device that I use either of my two video cameras with.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
It's interesting how Firewire is pretty much dead - video cameras are moving toward Flash memory and USB 2.0 for transfers, so Firewire is going the way of the serial port...but I still need it on any device that I use either of my two video cameras with.
It is actually pretty sad - I can transfer video from an old Sony video-cam over FireWire (400) on my old Apple TiBook faster than my son can transfer from his new video cam to a new PC laptop over USB 2.0 ...

Last edited by txa1265; 04-17-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: forgot stuff to clarify

Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
It is actually pretty sad - I can transfer video from an old Sony video-cam over FireWire (400) on my old Apple TiBook faster than my son can transfer from his new video cam to a new PC laptop over USB 2.0 ...
Yup, in my tests years ago I found Firewire 400 to be noticeably faster than USB 2.0...which is kind of sad given that on paper USB 2.0 has an 80 mbps advantage over Firewire.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Firewire Express Card http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?424373

I'm making the assumption when you are using this, it isn't going to be a big deal that it sticks out a little. If it for a video camera, keep it in the camera case.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Firewire Express Card...
Good suggestion Sven!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Firewire Express Card http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?424373

I'm making the assumption when you are using this, it isn't going to be a big deal that it sticks out a little. If it for a video camera, keep it in the camera case.
That is a great suggestion. It is interesting that in my particular case the laptop (17" Dell XPS) has Firewire, but the camera didn't.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
...but the camera didn't.
Ok, now you've got me really confused - you said you were using a Sony camera with Firewire 400...so what camera were you using that doesn't have Firewire?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:06 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Ok, now you've got me really confused - you said you were using a Sony camera with Firewire 400...so what camera were you using that doesn't have Firewire?
Sorry to be vague - I was comparing my camera (the Sony) to my son's (one of those FlipVideo things). So it isn't a really fair comparison, I guess ...