Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Surface: Your Mobile Shopping Experience Changes on April 17

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2604

"AT&T (NYSE: T) and Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) today announced a collaborative alliance that will transform the way consumers shop for mobile devices. AT&T will become the first company in the world to bring Microsoft Surface to life in a retail environment, giving customers the ability to explore their mobile worlds using touch and device recognition technology. Microsoft Surface is the first commercially available surface computer from Microsoft. Beginning April 17, customers can experience Microsoft Surface in select AT&T retail locations, including stores in New York City, Atlanta, San Antonio and San Francisco. Based on the success and learning from these initial pilot deployments, plans for further expansion across AT&T’s 2,200 U.S. retail stores will be determined."

By now, you should be well aware of what Microsoft Surface is and what it's capable of. Contrary to popular belief, this touch-based do-it-all table is far from vapourware. Come April 17, it's set to pull off a world first by invading AT&T stores in Atlanta, New York, San Antonio, and San Francisco. The 30" display will recognize your touch, your gestures, and the placement of compatible devices (including the BlackJack II), allowing you to learn and explore the products available, check out AT&T's wireless coverage and plans, and of course, purchase and subscribe to whatever tickles your fancy.

Read the rest of the post to see which stores will benefit from Surface on April 17. There's also eye-candy after the break. And who doesn't like eye-candy?

Atlanta:
3429 Lenox Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30326

New York:
381 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10017

350 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10022

San Antonio:
13127 San Pedro Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78216

San Francisco:
1206 El Camino Real
San Bruno, CA 94066

Click here for a high-resolution version (1.2MB).

Click here for a high-resolution version (1.3MB).

Click here for a high-resolution version (992KB).

Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Felix Torres
Mystic
Default SURFACE is NOT touch-based...

Its a vision-based system that uses infrared cameras on the underside of the work surface. (That is why its called surface computing.) There is no digitizer like on PDAs and Tablet PCs.
Its all about shape and motion recognition.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

on April 17th, ah? Does that mean MS start showing sings of life and slowly comes out of hibernation? Maybe, just maybe we will see WM7 sometimes in this decade, and maybe it actually will be something we all hope for?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Torres View Post
Its a vision-based system that uses infrared cameras on the underside of the work surface. (That is why its called surface computing.) There is no digitizer like on PDAs and Tablet PCs.
Its all about shape and motion recognition.
I didn't expect that term to be read so literally and ripped apart.

I used it in an all-encompassing manner, focusing more on general interactivity rather than mechanics. Yes, the Surface primarily processes inputs with cameras, not digitizers, touch screens, and the like, but it's still described as touch- and multi-touch capable, because it's still capable of receiving the same set of superficial inputs (your fingers on a surface) and delivering a set of outputs.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Tim Williamson
Editor Emeritus

Odd...I thought T-Mobile was supposed to be the first to have these in retail. I wonder what happened there? I guess they're too busy harassing web sites that use Magenta�...