Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Default Viva La Resistance! Software Developers Leaving Handango?!

I just received some breaking news from a very trusted and reliable source. It turns out that Handango's recent atrocities against software developers will not be tolerated! For those of you that are unaware, a few months back Handango decided that it was only fair to rape the wallets of the software developers that actually keep their foolish company afloat, raising their revenue shares to a drastic 50% of all software sales! It was bad enough that our beloved Windows Mobile developers were already paying companies such as Handango a fairly adequate size of their software sales revenue but this is downright ridiculous!

These actions are so outrageous that I just received an email from one of my most trusted sources, who I will refer to as Batman from here on out, stating that SOTI - the creators of the highly popular Pocket Controller Pro software - are getting ready to call it quits on Handango and pursue options with other vendors! Below is a copy of the email I was sent. I would also like to point out that I have changed all of the names in this email to better suit my sources secret identity. Enjoy!

Sent: March 27, 2008 11:00 AM
To: 'Lucius Fox'
Subject: Handango Direction
Importance: High

Hi Lucius,

I am writing to let you know that I and many other developers are not very happy with the direction Handango is taking these days in terms of the increased revenue share (now at 50%). As a result of these changes SOTI is now at a crossroad and seriously considering switching off HCE and moving to another company to process sales. Developers are talking to each other, and there is now a growing consortium of developers looking to dump HCE, I do not think this is the direction that Handango wants to go in. I hope you guys see the light before it is too late.

Regards,

Bruce Wayne | SOTI Inc. | Office +1 905 624 5555 x 228626 | [email protected] | www.soti.net

MobiControl, Mobile Device Management made easy!
Watch the Video: http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&SubCmd=MCVideo

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
zohaer21
Ponderer

i think developers should have dupped handan(went) long time ago...
their customer support sucks aswell and all they try to do is get more money out of you from whatever angle they can (download protection fee --- WTF ?)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Larry L
Pupil
Default Handango

I have gone out of my way, not to purchase anything from Handango.

I have gone to software developers web sites to purchase software. Only to be sent to Handango for processing. I aborted the purchase and went without the software.

I have purchased dozen's of software from Handango, but now they want to charge me a fee to download the software I have already purchased.

I feel like I am being shacken down by some con artist.

So I use older versions of software, just so I don't have to hand over my money to these people.

I for one hope all business that use these business tacktics to shake down their loyal customers, go out of business.

If any of you developers want to start your own consortium, to sell software, I for one would be delighted.

Larry

Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 PM
dvdcatalyst
Pupil
Default Not alone, but no choice

Same for me.
I've been with Handango for years, and they keep doing what they want.
With DVD Catalyst 3, I shifted my main website for sales towards Clickapps.com/ClickGamer.com and they really are the best of the bunch. What they lack for exposure they make up with response time for questions, high pay-out and they actually treat you as a human being.

I really have no idea what Handango is doing with the 50% they take. Trying to get a response from their developer support team is impossible. After 2 weeks of no response, I try by phone to get in contact with them, and even this is a battle of hours, ending up with random number punching on their phonesystem, because all their "support lines" are pointing to nothing.

Unfortunately, a lot of big companies use the Handango Store as a front for their own. As a result, and me being a tiny developer, moving away from them completely is not possible.

It's the power they hold over small companies, and this is what makes them think they are all-powerfull.

I really wish I could dump them completely, especially for their arrogance, their lack of support and absolutely no care for the developers and their actual customers ("download protection $6")

On a side-note, Motricity (PalmGear, PocketGear etc) is a very close second to handango.

Mitch

Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
Same for me.
I've been with Handango for years, and they keep doing what they want.
With DVD Catalyst 3, I shifted my main website for sales towards Clickapps.com/ClickGamer.com and they really are the best of the bunch. What they lack for exposure they make up with response time for questions, high pay-out and they actually treat you as a human being.
Don't forget that we also have an affiliated software store through this site!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I would like to point out that for those that were paying attention, I hid a little surprise in that post for you guys!

First person to guess it gets a virtual high five from me

Old 03-29-2008, 12:43 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Question Lucious

Is it the reference to "Lucious", a fictional character in the Stargate series that used whatever means he could to convince everyone to do everything for him? (and the parallel being that Handango thinks they can convince all developers to just give in)

m.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 AM
dh
Mystic

Doesn't really matter - give it a year or two and we'll all be buying our mobile software from the iTunes store.

Poo, did I really say that?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:13 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
Don't forget that we also have an affiliated software store through this site!
You've been anti-Handango for quite a while now -- a shame you use the site to promote your own agenda -- seems like the purpose here is to steer people towards your own store...

Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
You've been anti-Handango for quite a while now -- a shame you use the site to promote your own agenda -- seems like the purpose here is to steer people towards your own store...
Not in the least, I was only making a suggestion to a small software developer, who happens to be a reader of our site, that maybe he would want to try to get his software located in our affiliate store, which it actually is, to get that software into the eyes of more customers.

Making money was not the reason why I, or our other Contributing Editors, volunteer our time to bring our readers news on this site.

You are correct though benjimen, I am Anti-Handango due to the very reasons stated in this article. The Windows Mobile development market is pretty tiny and I would rather see our developers flourish in an environment where they can actually make money and in turn bring us more innovative and better software.

What Handango is doing here is harmful and discouraging to developers and I deeply apologize if us pointing that out is offensive to anyone. The point of this article was not to offend people, but to instead make our readers, who are also customers of these developers, aware of the current uphill battle they face.