Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default VITO Releases ZoomBoard 2.0 With 2 New Zoom Modes

http://iwindowsmobile.com/onscreen-keyboard.html

"VITO Technology releases new ZoomBoard version 2.0, an onscreen keyboard with zoomed preview for comfortable and accurate FINGER typing. New ZoomBoard allows for quick and accurate typing and can satisfy the demands of any choosy user with 3 different types of zooming: full zoom, lens zoom, float zoom. Lens zoom appears above the keyboard, Float zoom appears straight above the letter you press and the full one zooms in the whole keyboard with letters.  Another new useful feature is SmartZoom. When enabling this option it is possible to zoom the pressed letters either immediately or with a delay. Another important upgrade to ZoomBoard is the significant increase of layouts. Alongside with the layouts that were available in the previous version (English, Russian, German and some others) there have appeared 32 layouts for other languages. In addition, the landscape mode has become more user-friendly it does not close all screen."

ZoomBoard 2.0 brings a few nice customizations to this iphone-esque keyboard.  If you're pretty confident about your typing, the SmartZoom feature with the zoom delay might be kind of handy.  Edit: Current 1.0 users qualify for a free upgrade so try it and let us know what you think. Thanks to VITO for the updated info.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 AM
BevHoward
Intellectual

fyi, in addition to this article's vito app image being simply a black square on the ppct mobile site, the "discuss this..." from the mobile site does not offer mobile users any posting option.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevHoward View Post
fyi, in addition to this article's vito app image being simply a black square on the ppct mobile site, the "discuss this..." from the mobile site does not offer mobile users any posting option.
Currently, the mobile version is view only, according to the last internal communication I saw. It only seems to be the animated gifs that show the black square on the mobile form. I noticed it yesterday, but have been battling the flu and didn't email the crew yet. I'll do that this evening.

Paul

Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 AM
VitOl
Ponderer

The upgrade is free for current users of ZoomBoard version 1.0.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitOl View Post
The upgrade is free for current users of ZoomBoard version 1.0.

Thanks for the update.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM
traynor
Neophyte
Default Zoomboard

I really like the iWindowsmobile suite from Vito, but prefer the resco keyboard to zoomboard.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor View Post
I really like the iWindowsmobile suite from Vito, but prefer the resco keyboard to zoomboard.
Thanks for the feedback, Traynor. What do you like about Resco keyboard over Zoomboard? (Affliate links for Thoughtsmedia) In looking at the screenshots, Resco does have the nice built-in calculator, whereas Zoomboard "focuses" on being able to see the keys better. Your thoughts?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Traynor. What do you like about Resco keyboard over Zoomboard? (Affliate links for Thoughtsmedia) In looking at the screenshots, Resco does have the nice built-in calculator, whereas Zoomboard "focuses" on being able to see the keys better. Your thoughts?
I find resco is much easier to type on. The keys are a bit larger and better spaced and you can set it to use gestures instead of corrections which makes typing much faster. What this means is that you can no longer slide your finger around to the correct key if you hit the wrong letter. But now you can slide your thumbs up on a leter to get a capital, right to get a space, left for a backspace, and down for enter. If you think about it it is much faster to type away then if you do hit a wrong key just backspace. If you take your time and make sure you slide your finger around every time to see if you press the correct letter it takes forever to type. It takes over a second per letter... how is thi fast? So with resco i just type away and actually make fewer mistakes because the keys are bigger. and since i am not waiting to see if i hit the right key i type muuuuch faster. Then if i make a mistake i simply flick my thumb left and type again. Resco stil shows the zoomed key preview so i know instantly after i press a key if i have hit the wrong letter or not.

It basically comes down to with resco my finger is only on a key for miliseconds while with zoomboard my finger is on the screen for sometimes over a second... especially if the smart preview thing kicks in and i have to hold for a second before th preview even shows. This is a horrible feature.

The ability to use gestures instead of corrections is the big difference. zoomboard is to focused on zooming...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee View Post
It basically comes down to with resco my finger is only on a key for miliseconds while with zoomboard my finger is on the screen for sometimes over a second... especially if the smart preview thing kicks in and i have to hold for a second before th preview even shows. This is a horrible feature.
Thanks, Jason. It would be interesting to see if the 3 preview versions are different in speed.

Paul

Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Unfortunately you can only transfer your license to another device 3 times. So if you change your phone regularly you would have to buy an additional license. I like Zoomboard, but I think I may check out some of the alternatives.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii