Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Patent Shows Off New Slider Concept

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...=DN/20080064448

The concept of an integrated number keypad and QWERTY keyboard is neat, although I'm not sure if the design is a winner. The device seems a little long, but probably can't be much longer than existing Pocket PCs (or should I say, Windows Mobile Professional devices) with slide-out QWERTY keyboards. And the diagonal-sliding display? Let's hope it manages to stay securely in place even after months of use. Your thoughts on this one?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Interesting, but I'd have to actually get my hands on one. Looks like the screen size may still be QVGA. I also have some concerns about the slider.

I will say that I like the hard buttons for the phone. That's probably the thing that bothers me the most about my Wizard. You can't dial it by touch alone.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

The dimensions for VGA or QVGA are the same. The screen resolution is completely unimportant to this particular patent as well.

This looks pretty awesome...I would love a device like this. I never though of doing a slider this way.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I am still a bit fearfull of slider mechanisms breaking, but the Wizard I got on pre-order and have since handed down to my son is holding up still. My Kaiser is also surviving my daily beatings so I guess this is the way of the future. I would still like to see a double-hinged device like the MPx300 was to be.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

I think it would be a little too odd. When it is closed the top part of the device would be thicker than than the rest.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
signs
Pupil

i have had the wizard now more than 2 years, and i have loved my relationship with it. but i am getting tired from having to reply to simple messages like "ok" by sliding out the keyboard and using 2 hands. i do not like to use my touch screen for messages since part of it has sporadic responses. and this is why i feel the form factor and innards of the imate ultimate 8502 fits my need perfectly at this current period of my life. portrait screen qwerty underneath is the way to go for me.