Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Spb Mobile Shell 2.0 Released

http://spbsoftwarehouse.com/product...mobileshell/?en

"Spb Software House, the world's leading Windows Mobile software vendor, upgrades its outstanding Spb Mobile Shell software to version 2.0. Spb Mobile Shell is an application that completely overhauls the innate Windows Mobile user interface, making it more direct, logical, and slick. The software first hit the market in 2007 and quickly gained recognition among end-users and mobile device manufacturers. By the end of 2007, Spb Mobile Shell became the best-selling Pocket PC application in the world, was named the best interface/menu improver by Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine, the Best Evolution Application by Handango, and the Best Program for PDA�s by the Shareware Industry Awards. Spb Mobile Shell turns the Windows Mobile device into a better phone: gives access to crucial information at a glance, enables one-hand navigation, minimizes the number of taps to launching programs, changing settings, making calls. The new Spb Mobile Shell offers a great choice of haptic animation, it is more futuristic and practical in design, yet it is lower in memory consumption."

Spb Mobile Shell 1.x made a name for itself. Not only did it sell well through retail channels, a couple of manufacturers scooped it up and bundled it with their Windows Mobile Professional devices. Fast-forward to present day and we see the release of Spb Mobile Shell 2.0. The developers promise that it has more bang, is easier to use, and consumes less memory than ever before, and having used the beta version for the past few weeks, I can attest to that.

If you're a registered user of Spb Mobile Shell 1.x, you can upgrade to 2.0 for $14.95, or free if you purchased the application within the last 90 days. Otherwise, hit our affiliate software store (Handango) for a free trial version, or the full version for $29.95.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
paschott
Intellectual

I've also been in the beta program. It is quite a bit more polished in many ways than MS 1.x. I've found that I don't really have to use much else to launch programs and get some basic information for my device.

I was wondering when I saw the release announcement a little while ago how SPB could improve on the app. I think it's safe to say that they've succeeded. If you liked Mobile Shell 1.x, you'll appreciate the changes in Mobile Shell 2.0. I think the gestures help when using the device - they definitely make it easier to use without a stylus. The animations are cool looking when moving between the main screens and the calls from the contact screen work very well.

-Pete

Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott
I was wondering when I saw the release announcement a little while ago how SPB could improve on the app.
It sits rather well with my Touch Dual - very similar gestures! I'm just umming and ahhing as to whether I want to fork out for the upgrade.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 AM
amg
Pupil

I was eagerly awaiting the application to launch and installed it as soon as I could today.

My ultimate view...

Eh... so-so...

Definitely more eye candy, but some things just aren't up to par...

1) The Now screen is supposed to be everything you need at a glance... Everything, that is, except for a voicemail indicator

2) I haven't been able to get PocketInformant 8 to be recognized by MobileShell

3) The old launcher had 9 first-tier menus; this release only allows for 6

4) Adding programs to the submenus continues to be a pain

5) The mediocre weather support from MobileShell 1.5 took a step backwards in that there is no option to use an alternate weather app

6) Still no convenient way to back-up settings (should be an export/import settings option like other developers)

The program looks good (aesthetically) but with the issues above, I'll pass.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

1) The Now screen is supposed to be everything you need at a glance... Everything, that is, except for a voicemail indicator
That's the same as HTC's TouchFlo - voicemail - do you mean an indicator for missed calls or a dial up shortcut to your voicemail? It has the former - just not the latter.

It recognises it as a stand alone application - do you mean that it doesn't use PI8 as the default app for Calendar/Contacts etc? There doesn't appear to be any such customisation ability without hacking the Reg. I'd be interested in whether SPB Diary does replace same - in which case it will probably be a willful commercial advantage.

4) Adding programs to the submenus continues to be a pain
Agreed - in fact the level of customisability (if that is a word) appears to be poor - I'd like to be able to change icons - like you can with Pocket Plus - but I've discovered no obvuious way to do that - the icons at present are just a tad too bright for me!

6) Still no convenient way to back-up settings (should be an export/import settings option like other developers)
Agreed! Perhaps they are just wanting you to get SPB Backup! ;-)

Still not sure if I will be going for the upgrade - which at $14.95 plus taxes is a little steep for a utility upgrade IMHO - PI8 upgrade was the same price - and that is a 'cant live without app' - mobile shell just isn't - especially if you already have TouchFlo!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
amg
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph
That's the same as HTC's TouchFlo - voicemail - do you mean an indicator for missed calls or a dial up shortcut to your voicemail? It has the former - just not the latter.
I'm talking about an indicator (like exists in the normal notification tray) that there are voicemails. It is possible there are no missed calls to display but voicemails waiting. For example, if I'm doing an email transfer while not in a 3G area, phone calls go straight to VM. I'll get a VM notification without the phone ever ringing. If a program like S2U2 can get this one right, why can't Mobile Shell??

Quote:
It recognises it as a stand alone application - do you mean that it doesn't use PI8 as the default app for Calendar/Contacts etc?
Correct. At least in the earlier version of Mobile Shell, alternate PIM programs could be loaded into the organizer screen as alternates, and the Now screen could map to the altnerate PIM instead of using the built-in.

Quote:
Agreed! Perhaps they are just wanting you to get SPB Backup! ;-)
I have SpbBackup (although I prefer to use Sprite). But being able to backup the whole device doesn't help for us chronic ROM-flashers who find that reinstalling apps is cleaner than restoring from a backup set.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
It recognises it as a stand alone application - do you mean that it doesn't use PI8 as the default app for Calendar/Contacts etc?

Correct. At least in the earlier version of Mobile Shell, alternate PIM programs could be loaded into the organizer screen as alternates, and the Now screen could map to the altnerate PIM instead of using the built-in.
There is a seperate CAB install for enabling PI, Agenda, etc. The link is in the FAQ.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg
But being able to backup the whole device doesn't help for us chronic ROM-flashers who find that reinstalling apps is cleaner than restoring from a backup set.
Do you have a Mogul by any chance? :mrgreen:

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
amg
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim
Nope... a Tilt

Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim
Nope... a Tilt
Ah, ok. I guess the custom ROM business is as booming for the tilt as it is for the mogul. Mogul users are struggling to squeeze out every kilobyte of memory possible. Some have even resorted to downgrading to WM5.