Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sony Ericsson's XPERIA X1 Shows Its Face

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/pro.../x1?cc=us&lc=en

Sony Ericsson's debut Windows Mobile device is not to be dismissed. It packs 400MB (presumably, RAM and ROM combined), a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, a high-resolution WVGA (800 x 480) touch screen, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, aGPS, an FM radio, a 3.2-megapixel auto-focus camera with flash, a Memory Stick Micro slot, USB mass storage support out-of-the-box, and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (800/950/1700/1900/2100) connectivity, all in a high-quality, high-finish metal body. And let's not forget Windows Mobile 6 and a new user interface. Hit the Sony Ericsson web site and Engadget for a glimpse of said interface and the device in general.

Update #1: Added additional details to the specs list.

Update #2: There's some confusion as to whether the X1 supports Memory Stick Micro or microSD, or both. The specifications page mentions the former. The press release mentions the latter. Which one is it, Sony Ericsson? :?

Links: XPERIA X1 (Sony Ericsson); UI Video (Engadget); Press Release (Microsoft PressPass)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
dommasters
Intellectual

This development is BRILLIANT news! Mine will be on order asap and I'll be writing some mad games for it before the dust settles. Congrats to MS and SE. Between them they have the skills and outlook to creat ultimate devices.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Imate ninety-five-oh-what?? Finally I have another option. This thing looks cool. But I'd have to wait even longer.. But I know someone who works at Sony Ericsson...

But what do they mean by aGPS? No standalone GPS? That would actually be a deal breaker for me.. Will this be at the GSMA congress?

*edit*
I HAS A CTRL KEY ON THE KEYBOARD!!!!!! FINALLY!!! I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOREVER!!!! PLEASE PLEEEEEESA HAVE GPS!
Sorry, I'm a little excited.

*edit again*
Well it has a ctrl key in pictures on this site:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/defau...c=us&lc=en
Make the smart decision sony. I am so sick of opening the SIP just to copy and paste.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
norti
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to norti Send a message via MSN to norti Send a message via Yahoo to norti

We all are excited at this moment I'm waiting for more precise specifications and see if we get a PXA310/320 CPU and a large battery in there

It'll have aGPS

Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

aGPS is kindof a bummer. aGPS won't work if the phone radio is off or on a phone call. Also, wouldnt a carrier charge if it was aGPS?

This thing is smaller than my mogul. But with a bigger and higher resolution screen. Amazing.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
starstreak
Ponderer

Yup looked sweet. But I have to see how well the touch worked. One thing I cant stand with my Tilt is dialing. Half the time it doesnt read my presses correctly.

agps- Yup, if its not built-in, not gonna buy it. Rather get the Ultimate phone from that other company. imate or whatever.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

Wow, this phone seems absolutely brilliant. Owning an N95 now, I have to say the 3mx camera is still a little bit of a bummer but this one's got WVGA and FULL quad-band GSM with FULL quad-band 3G. Over at engadget, the features list also shows "3D games". I don't know what this implies but could it possibly mean that the XPERIA has hardware 3D acceleration as well?

Now, let's see Nokia and others jump onto the bandwagon as well. Time to really heat things up in 2008... :devilboy:

Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim
aGPS is kindof a bummer. aGPS won't work if the phone radio is off or on a phone call.
Not necessarily. *Some* a-GPS devices require the phone radio to be on or available, but they don't need to. Many a-GPS devices continue to function with GPS even if the phone radio is unavailable - just without the 'assisted' bit.

I'd be surprised if Sony Ericsson made the GPS so it won't function without the phone - and with the phone radio it means a much faster and more accurate GPS lock.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKingGrim
aGPS is kindof a bummer. aGPS won't work if the phone radio is off or on a phone call.
Not necessarily. *Some* a-GPS devices require the phone radio to be on or available, but they don't need to. Many a-GPS devices continue to function with GPS even if the phone radio is unavailable - just without the 'assisted' bit.

I'd be surprised if Sony Ericsson made the GPS so it won't function without the phone - and with the phone radio it means a much faster and more accurate GPS lock.
Yeah that is a plus that aGPS will get a faster lock and also work in difficult areas such as inside and around tall buildings. As long as carriers dont charge for it, and as long as it can also operate in standalone mode when the cell radio is not available.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:32 AM
starstreak
Ponderer

if it uses triangulation I cant see it being that great. I would rather have a good gps builtin. The one in the Tilt is average but I bet its more accurate than that Sony one.