Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default SanDisk Ultra II Line Picks up Speed and Boosts Capacity with New 32- and 16-Gigabyte SDHC and 8GB SDHC Plus Cards

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...356&newsLang=en

"Giving photo enthusiasts the freedom to take more pictures and shoot more video, SanDisk Corporation today increased both capacities and speeds in its SanDisk Ultra� II line with the introduction of 32- and 16-gigabyte (GB)1 SDHC� cards and an 8GB SDHC Plus card. The announcement was made at the photo industry�s PMA 08 International Convention here. Ideal for today�s camcorders and point-and-shoot digital cameras that can record both video and still images, the cards offer faster read and write speeds of 15 megabytes per second2 (15MB/sec), up from previous speeds of 10MB/sec read and 9MB/sec write in the SanDisk Ultra II line."

In the words of James Brown, GOOD GOD Y'ALL! That's a lot of storage on a small card - but it also has a matching price tag. The 32 GB card is $349 USD (but not shipping until April), the 16 GB card is $179 USD, and the 8 GB is $99.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Sweet! You could combine one of these 32 GB SDHC cards with a 32 GB CF card and put them both in a new iPAQ 210 for 64 GB of flash storage goodness.

I also like the write speed. 15MB/s is pretty good. (Would that make it a Class 15 card?)

And I don't think the price is that bad. It wasn't very long ago that SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB CF was the big boy and cost $1000. I remember thinking it was a big deal when that particular card dropped down to $640 - only $80 per GB.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 AM
surur
Mystic

Doesn't this mean we are now at the SDHC limit, meaning we need a new standard next year for even bigger cards. The SDHC standard was such a waste of time.

Surur

Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim
Sweet! You could combine one of these 32 GB SDHC cards with a 32 GB CF card and put them both in a new iPAQ 210 for 64 GB of flash storage goodness.
That would indeed be rather bad ass. :twisted:

Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
hazcaddy
Pupil

Okay, you got me. I finally learned to check whether a device was SDHC compatible (after I found a lot of my stuff wasn't taking 2 GB SD cards), so now what the heck it this "SDHC Plus"? And what devices are built to accept it?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 AM
techNeuron
Neophyte

Hmm,
Just an observation. The picture seems to indicate that the SDHC card is a Class 4 with the C4 logo. This means the minimum sustained write speed would be around 4 MB/sec not 15 MB/sec. So I clicked through to the article and indeed it does say a read and write speed of 15 MB/sec. So why the C4 logo?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Dyvim
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Okay, you got me. I finally learned to check whether a device was SDHC compatible (after I found a lot of my stuff wasn't taking 2 GB SD cards), so now what the heck it this "SDHC Plus"? And what devices are built to accept it?
It's an SDHC card with the built in USB plug so that you don't need a card reader or memory card slot, only a USB port. It works in any SDHC-compatible device. The top capacity is smaller: 8 GB for this format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDisk
Beyond speed and capacity, the 8GB SanDisk Ultra II SDHC Plus offers both SD� and USB functionality in one card. Designed with SanDisk�s unique, patented Hinge Lock technology, the card may be inserted into a USB port on any computer. This two-in-one SD-plus-USB feature eliminates the need to carry cables or card readers to transfer photos and videos from cameras.