Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default It's Fringing Free - Fring Introduces Windows Mobile Client

http://www.fring.com/

"fring today announced the launch of a new version of its popular free to download, free to use mobile phone application, packed with additional features which enable anyone with a compatible handset to talk, chat, and interact with other fring users (fringsters) from their mobile phones. The new feature-rich fring offers an enhanced chat client, unique file transfer functionality and local language options. Over the past 12 months since the soft launch of its service, the fring offering has developed rapidly, and with its next generation version launching today, fring is going beyond it's mobile VoIP heritage, evolving into a mobile internet service & community in its own right, enabling users to talk, chat & interact with other fringsters and with all of their favorite online communities, from their mobile phones."

Fring certainly looks promising as a free way to use both IM and VoIP on a mobile device. It's in beta now but there is a Windows Mobile client available. Any Fringers want to weigh in on the service?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Beta versions of the WinMo Fring have been out for more than half a year. I think it's great, particularly if you "only" have an EDGE connection and/or want to use the built-in textual chatter.

See http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=445602 for a comparative review

Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
masa
Neophyte

I'm waiting after the WM version to see the bitrates with their tranfer files system.
That will be interesting to send files via mobile to pc during a chat session.

wait & see...

Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa
I'm waiting after the WM version to see the bitrates with their tranfer files system.
That will be interesting to send files via mobile to pc during a chat session.

wait & see...
I've done quite a few of these tests with binary content & remote desktop control apps. I haven't seen any tool that would have used a far less bandwidth-efficient protocol than the rest. That is, I don't think Fring is bad in this respect either.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
masa
Neophyte

I think too. Just something is pity. Transfer will work with MSN only. This is the IM i use less. I will hope a futur compatibility with anothe than Gtalk or Skype.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 AM
ctmagnus

Finally! A solution to the 250 incoming sms/week limit! I will use this heavily.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:39 AM
heliod
Intellectual

I have been using fring for the last 11 months, and it is far better than any Chat+VOIP client I have ever used.

I haven't tried the new client yet, but will download today. Regarding the old client for WM, the only thing I suggested them to check was the use of the battery when fring was open in the device across the work-day. The impact on the battery life was too big.

Regarding voice, I have used it for making VOIP calls via Skype, MSN and other VOIP networks, and I can say that the performance was much more than acceptable on EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA networks, even on a device that has a slow processor like the Samsung Blackjack. And when you install it on a Powerhouse like the HTC Athena, it simply rocks.

Helio