Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld Video Review

Post-CES and post two-week-cold, having dug myself out of most of my back-logged email, it was time to get down to reviewing some of the hardware I have sitting around here. The iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld, running Windows Mobile 6, went on the video-reviewing block, and the resulting video is below (if you have a YouTube account, please rate the video and post a comment if you can).

All in all, as a strict PDA, it does the job well. But as I point out in the video, I feel it's priced too high, and surprising competition comes from a device such as the iPod Touch when you're at that $299 price point.

There were a few things I didn't mention in the video - the first is that while the iPAQ 100 uses a miniUSB plug rather than something proprietary (great job HP!), it requires a certain type of miniUSB connector (something about needing an extra wire). My PPC Techs Lil' Sync Pro cables charged it without a problem, but other miniUSB cables I tested wouldn't charge it which is something to be aware of - it's really unfortunate that HP didn't make it compatible with all miniUSB cables.

I also didn't mention that lack of hardware buttons for the soft keys. On a touch screen device without a keyboard, this is less of an issue because you'll probably already have the stylus out, but considering how focused Windows Mobile 6 is around soft keys, it would have been nice to see the hardware reflect that - especially since it would have enhanced one-handed use scenarios.

I just can't shake the feeling that someone who wants a stand-alone PDA probably doesn't need a 624 mhz CPU, or even 64 MB of RAM. If HP had kept the 300 mhz CPU from the iPAQ 1950 in there, and dropped the price to $199, I think they'd have a device much more focused on the "I just want a personal information manager" device crowd.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys mobile devices, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. He's can't wait for spring - it's cold here now!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Nice job as always, Jason. I had to laugh when you dropped the device again--you dropped it on your unboxing video, too! LOL.

This is the first time I have watched someone use WM6. I have an iPaq 6945, and WM5 on it seems SLOW. The 100 in your video seemed a bit snappier. I know that the flash memory is slower than our old ram devices, but do you agree that WM6 seems quicker?

I look forward to the 900 series units appearing.
Got a*PDA for sale: NEW Treo 700WX + Seidio Holster + Sync Cradlehttp://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=425447#425447

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Zidane
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Zidane

I've used every version of Windows Mobile since PPC2000 and I would have to say that WM6 is definitely snappier than WM5 ever was.

I personally think that the price point maybe could come down a little, but I don't think it cross the $200 limit. The thing about WM devices over the iPod is their flexibility. I personally use my devices to run a lot of my business needs. Also, by decreasing the price, you destroy the "perceived value" of the device. If a device is more expensive, it's definitely worth the money, right?

As for the processor power, I can see the need for 624 MHz as it keeps the device responsive. My TyTN doesn't run nearly as smooth as my hx4700 (and both are using WM6). I would have thought a VGA device would be as slow or slower than a QVGA device. The OS definitely needs a fast (or faster) processor if it wants to be competitive with the iPhone/iTouch.

I do have to agree with you on the onboard storage (or lack thereof). I still don't see why manufacturers can't integrate an 8GB flash chip, in addition to providing the storage card slots. I guess it could be that some manufacturers are still targetting the enterprise (as this one seems to be) and by keeping the storage size down, they are discouraging use for "recreational" activities.

Finally, please tell me I understood your comment about the RAM wrong because a WM5/6 device just cannot function with anything less than 64MB these days.

All in all, I enjoyed the review. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the 210.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaholic
I had to laugh when you dropped the device again--you dropped it on your unboxing video, too! LOL.
No, no, as I explained over on the YouTube page, that wasn't a drop, it was, uh, an aerial misplacement. :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaholic
This is the first time I have watched someone use WM6. I have an iPaq 6945, and WM5 on it seems SLOW.
I think it's mostly the faster processor - I wouldn't say Windows Mobile 6 is any faster tham WM5.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane
The thing about WM devices over the iPod is their flexibility. I personally use my devices to run a lot of my business needs.
Indeed - as of right now, there's no real third-party software for the iPod Touch, so a Windows Mobile device definitely offers more flexibility. On the other hand, an iPod Touch offers better media apps, and for some, a better email app/keyboard, etc. So it's a trade off - my main point was that as MP3 players such as the Touch get more complex and powerful, they start to step into the territory of these non-phone devices.

Quote:
As for the processor power, I can see the need for 624 MHz as it keeps the device responsive...Finally, please tell me I understood your comment about the RAM wrong because a WM5/6 device just cannot function with anything less than 64MB these days.
Well, here's the thing: that iPAQ 1950 I used in the video? That's what my wife uses daily. She plays a few games on it, uses it for PIM stuff (WiFi Exchange sync), and that's it. No GPS, nothing too complex. She never has out of memory issues, or complains about the speed. I think there's a decent-sized market for a $199, 300 mhz, 32 MB RAM Windows Mobile Classic device - and I think HP is blowing it by releasing this $299 machine with a 624 mhz CPU. If people want a non-phone PDA that has great specs, they'll probably go for the iPAQ 210. It's a real waste to have a screen that big on the iPAQ 100 and not have a VGA screen.

Quote:
All in all, I enjoyed the review. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the 210.
I'm glad you enjoyed the review - I've asked for an iPAQ 210, but I don't know if I'll get it. This is the first HP iPAQ I've been sent in a LONG time.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
phmurphy
Pupil
Default Good job again.

I loved the video. I actually purchased the 100 but just to set up and give to a client. I am on the other end of the spectrum of PDA users from you. I don't want a phone, I want a hand held computer. I am a botanist and do field work where I do data collection with GPS and programs like ArcPAD and pocket ACCESS like SprintDB. These are all memory and CPU hogs so I really want these unconverged devices, that focus on the hard work.

From the unboxing I still have two items I want to repeat.
The power button is on the side, which is a problem when the PDA is in a protective container like the OtterBox.
The quick shift to landscape view goes the wrong way for a righthanded person holding the device in the left hand. Instead of cocking your wrist 90� counter-clockwise to get a view you have to go 270� clockwise and your wrist is all gunked up, or you have to take the PDA out of your hand and rotate it 180�. Through a lot of tapping you can get it to rotate to the right position, but heck this is bad design...period.

I am waiting to find out about the new HP 211 - Please review that ASAP.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
ddwire
Ponderer
Default Ipaq 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Indeed - as of right now, there's no real third-party software for the iPod Touch, so a Windows Mobile device definitely offers more flexibility. On the other hand, an iPod Touch offers better media apps, and for some, a better email app/keyboard, etc. So it's a trade off - my main point was that as MP3 players such as the Touch get more complex and powerful, they start to step into the territory of these non-phone devices.

Well, here's the thing: that iPAQ 1950 I used in the video? That's what my wife uses daily. She plays a few games on it, uses it for PIM stuff (WiFi Exchange sync), and that's it. No GPS, nothing too complex. She never has out of memory issues, or complains about the speed. I think there's a decent-sized market for a $199, 300 mhz, 32 MB RAM Windows Mobile Classic device - and I think HP is blowing it by releasing this $299 machine with a 624 mhz CPU. If people want a non-phone PDA that has great specs, they'll probably go for the iPAQ 210. It's a real waste to have a screen that big on the iPAQ 100 and not have a VGA screen.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review - I've asked for an iPAQ 210, but I don't know if I'll get it. This is the first HP iPAQ I've been sent in a LONG time.
What happened to the review of the 210? You did the unboxing some time ago.
I am interested in the 210 to replace my Treo 700WX and then get a dumb phone to teather with it. I hope you can post some screen shots of Pocket Informant or something with lots of detail like it for to see the VGA screen.
Thanks Dan