Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Wireless Charging Coming Soon

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=cha...red-smartphones

"Under terms of the agreement, MWg devices (most likely MWg's upcoming Xda Windows Mobile smartphones) will be equipped by mid year with Splashpower's technology to enable inductive charging, where electrical batteries of a handset are charged wirelessly using electromagnetic induction."

We've posted on this before, but I never expected this technology to take off quite this fast because of the changes required in existing battery manufacturing, and licensing issues. Hopefully, other vendors will start picking this up (what's stopped them from doing so before?), and we'll get a real sea-change in the way we approach juicing up our little companions.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
mhynek
Ponderer

We already use this technology, at the hospital, for our wet/dry razors. It's extremely convienient and I'd be very interested in this technology for my cellular phone in the future. I'd like to still use a sync/charge cable to connect to my computer though. Actually, what I'd really like to see is a cradle, with this technology, that I could mount in my car. I'd also be likely to place one of these power "pods" on my nightstand as well, but that is about the extent to how i'd use it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

As an added bonus it keeps you coffee warm aaall day.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
happety
Neophyte

I'm not saying this isn't cool and useful technology, I'm just saying I don't understand why this is cool and useful. My Sonicaire toothbrush uses this method and I get that. You don't want moisture seeping into a charging port...

...but for portable devices, I don't understand how this is better than a cradle, in fact, if a manufacturer decides to forego the charging plug for this, how do I charge in the car and on the road? I would hate to get rid of my little universal ac/dc charger and tiny little wind up cable that literally fits anywhere for another brick.

Now, if this is a baby step to new levels, I can see that. What would be cool is a larger one, say 4" x 8" 5" x 12" or so. One power cord going to the wall outlet, then I can throw all of my devices on it at once - phone, camera, BT GPS unit, etc.. and it senses the battery sitting directly on top of each segment and charges each accordingly - now that would be handy.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
kzemach
Ponderer

Agree with prior poster. And, to add to that, now the "vampire" factor of charging electronics will be even worse. More energy lost. Sure, not THAT much (mW to low W over time), but seriously, what's the big deal?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:10 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

It's a long time coming. My Braun razor and Sonicare toothbrush use that kind of technology. As long as a port is still on the device to directly connect to a PC then I'm all for it. I think it is cool and a good approach to charging mutilpe devices without all the extra device specific cords. Other than that it's not a big deal at all just a really good idea if done right.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 PM
miterb
Intellectual

:?: I'm curious as to the possibility of interference with the devices wireless or bluetooth capabilities while on the charger?

Brad

Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
kzemach
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miterb
:?: I'm curious as to the possibility of interference with the devices wireless or bluetooth capabilities while on the charger?

Brad
Probably none. You can run fairly efficient inductive coupling at much lower frequencies, and to meet FCC they'll have to prove that there are no significant harmonics at higher freqs anyway.

People with pacemakers and internal defibs, however, beware!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Airscanner
Ponderer

two words:

brain cancer

8O