Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld Now Shipping

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...84-3544499.html

At long last, the HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld is shipping! We posted about the iPAQ 210 back in September when it was first announced, then delayed, but it seems it's now finally available for purchase directly from HP for the price of $449 USD.

There was a bit of confusion early on about the slots, but the published specifications now verify that it's got a CompactFlash card slot and an SDIO slot (which should also be SDHC). With a Marvell PXA310 624 mhz CPU, 128 MB of RAM (this is doubled from the initial announcement where it was only 64 MB - I bet that's why it was delayed), and a four inch VGA screen, this has to be one of the most powerful non-phone Windows Mobile devices on the market today. For some of you two-device people that still use dedicated mobile phones, is this PDA in your future?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

If I were buying a Pocket PC today, this is what I'd buy. As it is, I have an hx4700 with the PPCTechs 128MB upgrade, flashed over to WM6. The 200 has WiFi(g), SDHC, and the slightly more efficient processor; not quite enough for me to jump yet.

It's good to see it shipping though.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

What is it now, nearly 4 years since the 4700 and the E800 were new?

I am very happy to see a two-expansion slot configuration. But aside from WM 6 and ditching the fingerprint recogniser, what's new here?

After fighting to have PDA and phone separate for years, now that I am converged, I really don't give a hoot about this device unless they add quad-band phone and all the latest 3G, 4G, 5G who knows-what-G high-speed connections too.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Finally a worthy successor for the good old iPaq 2210. Just like the old one this has dual memory card slots. And I love the VGA screen.

I might get this one for my in car navigation system, plus media plus info center. The only trouble is saving $400+ for this.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator

I'm definitely interested. My phone while converged is really just a backup device. I like not having to re-enter #'s etc but it is really too tiny for reading or movies. I like a bigger screen for that. The current Dell I have is having issues with the screen alignment. Now to save up a few shekels

Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Mikey
Ponderer
Default I love it... but agree with the what's new comment above

It looks great but other than better battery management & updated WM6.1, how is it better than my Axim x50v??? If my Axim crashes, then maybe... even though I said I'd never go back to HP after they left me hanging on my iPAQ h5555 with no WM2003SE upgrade. We'll see.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

I agree: Specs look great, except that having WiFi as the only connectivity option is just so 90s! I want to connect anywhere, and I guess that means that unless I tether it to a 3G phone via Bluetooth, this isn't the device for me.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

Does this mean that my Axim x51v is no longer top-of-the-line?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM
pcwhitch
Neophyte

This may be my next device. I've got a 3-yr old Axim X-50 that is getting close to the end of its life. It will be very interesting to see how it works for those who are getting it right away.

iPaq 3765 --> Axim X50 --> iPaq 211

Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 AM
JohnJohn
Thinker

I think HP should set up a "Kindle" like relationship with a mobile carrier. Maybe buy the device and get a lifetime of 3G on the device. Since it looks to be their intention to give people a device without a phone. At least give us a connection other than WiFi.