Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default SanDisk's 6 GB microSD: Big Storage, Small Package

http://www.softpocket.ca/en/new_pro...sk6gbmicro.html

When Toronto-based online gadget store Softpocket emailed me to let me know that they had SanDisk's 6 GB microSD card in stock for $99 CAD, my response was "Hey, send me one to look at!". Up until that point, I hadn't seen any of their microSDHC cards, and I wasn't actually sure which devices it would work in. There's been a lot of confusion over which Windows Mobile devices actually support SDHC, because it seems to be a little detail many specification sheets leave out. I tested it with the devices I had, and the results were as follows:

AT&T Tilt: Works, 5821 MB reported
HTC Touch: Works, 5821 MB reported
HTC Dual: Works, 5821 MB reported (though it felt like I was slumming because I had to take out an 8 GB SanDisk microSD to test the 6 GB microSD!)
T-Mobile Dash: Works, 5821 MB reported
iPAQ 100 Series: Works, 5821 MB reported (put microSD into SD card adaptor)
i-Mate Jasjar: Doesn't work (no surprise there)

You can see the pattern that all of the modern devices work with the 6 GB microSD card, and the older device does not.

If you were to go back in time ten years and say that 6 GB of storage could balance on someone's pinky fingernail, they'd tell you you were crazy. Yet here we are! Amazing.

In terms of performance, moving 905 MB of data to to the card (the scenario where you're loading it up with music or videos) via the MicroMate adaptor plugged into my monitor's USB port, I saw write speeds peak at around 7 MB/s, but average about 4.5 MB/s. That means if you're going to put 6 GB of music on there, expect it to take a little while. Pulling data from the card, say offloading pictures or videos you've taken with your device, I saw speeds peak at around 10 MB/s, and average out to about 8 MB/s. The reality is that no Windows Mobile device today can saturate the read/write speeds of a modern day memory card, so on-device performance will always be as fast as the device can handle.

In every way the memory card performed exactly as you'd expect. If you'd like to pick up one for yourself, Softpocket has them for $99 CAD.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys mobile devices, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. It's been a rough week.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker

I have had one of these since mid October. Excellent product. I use it my Tilt. I can say that it only reads 1.6gb on my Blackberry Curve though.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: SanDisk's 6 GB microSD: Big Storage, Small Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I tested it with the devices I had, and the results were as follows:

AT&T Tilt: Works, 5821 MB reported
HTC Dual: Works, 5821 MB reported (though it felt like I was slumming because I had to take out an 8 GB SanDisk microSD to test the 6 GB microSD!)
Does that 8GB MicroSD work in the Tilt?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Yup, you bet. 7782.50 MB reported free. Anything that supports SDHC, of which microSDHC is a subset, is good for as far as the standard works - which I think is 32 GB...

Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Yup, you bet. 7782.50 MB reported free. Anything that supports SDHC, of which microSDHC is a subset, is good for as far as the standard works - which I think is 32 GB...
Thanks. I thought that to be the case. What has thrown me is my wife's T-Mobile Shadow is SDHC, but the web page and manual state it supports up to 4GB. :? I am very close to purchasing the TyTN II and will get an 8GB card for it. I'll try that card in the Shadow and see if that 4GB limit is real or just what someone put in because at the time, that was the largest card available.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual

I bought the Sandisk 8GB microSDHC from MobilePlanet. It came with the MobileMate Micro Reader (USB microSDHC reader). It does not come with any adapter like the 4 and 6 GB models.

It works in my TYTN (WM6). It does not work in my JAMin (no surprise).

I had previously bought three Kingston 2GB microSD cards with little red microSD USB readers that I assumed would not handle HC, but in fact the 8GB card works in these readers too.

Now if only there was a new ppc under the tree... like a 9502. doh.

m.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
[email protected]
Pupil
Default Cingular 8525

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgley
It works in my TYTN (WM6).
Isn't the 8525 the same as the TYTN? Anyone know if any of the microSDHC cards work in the Cingular phone under WM6?

Just wondering as there's nothing new for me under the tree either and need to make due with this for (at least) another year. :cry:

Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual
Default WM6 TYTN

Sorry I haven't repsonded quicker, I've been playing with the kids and their new toys (I didn't get much, and its my job as dad to help them play with their stuff; I'll get to my stuff eventually--my wife wonders why I need an 8GB card--its not just a wbic thing).

Actually my TYTN is a Cingular 8525 running the WM6 released from AT&T. Any microSDHC card should work with this setup.

I am successfully resisting a TYTN II purchase--I'm not making any negative remark against it, just trying to avoid changing phones too quick as these are very expensive. Plus I want one with a VGA display.

m.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 AM
mightymission
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to mightymission

Has anyone tested the T-Mobile Wing yet?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:20 AM
lvldcook
Neophyte

When I purchased my "modern" PDA, a Samsung i760 a couple weeks ago (set up with Windows Mobile 6), the Verizon salesperson sold me an 8 GB Sandisk microSD card with it. It doesn't even recognize it! I installed the HTC SDHC patch and now recognize 4GB of the 8. Anyone know why the i760 doesn't support the microSDHC card?